B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Talking Just a few questions...

Hey guys! I'm new here. I'm picking up a silver 2001 Audi A4 1.8T completely stock in a few weeks. It had a brand new turbo put it a couple of months ago. I've been reading on these forums for a while and I have some questions.

Would I just need a chip to run more boost?

Can I just bring it to a shop and have them tune it for me? Or would the chip be easier?

And the BOV/DV sound is amazing to me, I want to make mine louder, like 2:08 in this video
So would I just need to buy something like this? (click)

I want to run as much boost as possible while having the car still be reliable.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been posted before. I'm new, don't shoot me

EDIT: Oh, and here's a few pics of the car. In the second picture, that is a reflection, not a scrape or dent lol.

Last edited by Ayee!; 06-15-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Welcome. Read the stickies at the top of the forum and please use the search feature whenever possible, there's **** tons of awesome info on this forum ripe for the picking.

Originally Posted by Ayee!
Yes. The stock tune will kick you into limp mode if you over boost

Can I just bring it to a shop and have them tune it for me? Or would the chip be easier?
chip=tune. You can either buy an extra ECU and mail that off to have it tuned, take yours out and mail that off to have it tuned, or take your car to a performance garage and have them tune it while you wait. The last option really only makes sense if you're local to a reputable shop.

nd the BOV/DV sound is amazing to me, I want to make mine louder
The APR R1 DV you linked, in conjunction with a tune and some kind of modified intake setup will make that "woosh" noise louder. However, I suggest you don't run a BOV. The intakes on these cars were not designed to vent to the atmosphere.

I tried to be brief, maybe some of the more knowledgeable turbo gurus will be able to help a little more.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 PM
4th Gear

X2
+1
+1
X1 billion

In that order. CCA4, you hit the nail on the head on all four counts.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM
2nd Gear

I'm running a Forge Splitter Valve. Its a 60% recirc/40% vent BOV/DV hybrid. Its designed for the 1.8T and I've had no problems with it. Sounds great!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Guru

Hey guys! I'm new here. I'm picking up a silver 2001 Audi A4 1.8T completely stock in a few weeks. It had a brand new turbo put it a couple of months ago. I've been reading on these forums for a while and I have some questions.

And the BOV/DV sound is amazing to me, I want to make mine louder, like 2:08 in this
I want to run as much boost as possible while having the car still be reliable.
like cc said, yes you want to tune your car or you could go with the diode mod

again, if there is a shop near you have them tune it, or look in the classifieds for someone selling their old tune(also buy a dv or bov here)

a dv with tune and nice breathable filter will get you a louder woosh, you will probably want a cone filter though......... but here is the deal, even tuned our cars are slow as ****, so don't make it go woosh unless you want to be made fun of, on that note.... since you are an 01 you can run a bov without an issue cause our cars will eventually compensate for it more so than the older models... you might want to look into a test pipe though...

i run a bov on my car but i have a bigger turbo, i ran a bov on my car when i was tuned for about a month or so and said f' it, i am slow..........

Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

^^^agreed.