B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just bought an A4. What should I check for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Exclamation Just bought an A4. What should I check for?

Hey guys, I just bought a '99(.5) A4 Quattro 1.8T.

I've come across this site, and after being in several forum communities for my previous cars, I figured my best source for information would be here.
Anyways, I'm going over in a few days to look at it and make a final payment. But, while I'm over there, I would like to know if there are certain things I should look for that may be wrong with it (known flaws, things that often fail in the A4).

I am aware that it will need to be repainted on the roof, rear bumper and trunk lid, also that the rear windows are unplugged due to them acting up? and that it does not come with a jack and tool set.

Here's the listing: 1999 Audi A4 Quattro
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

If I could get any opinions on what to check for or links to other threads, it would be greatly appreciated!

Here are a few pictures from the listing:
Name:  AudiFDAngle.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  116.1 KB
Name:  AudiFront.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  68.1 KB
Name:  AudiPSide.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  118.6 KB
Name:  AudiBack.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  75.1 KB
Name:  AudiDash.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  52.3 KB
Name:  AudiFrontSeat.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  64.1 KB
Name:  AudiBackSeat.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  67.5 KB

Thanks so much guys!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 PM
2nd Gear

Miles, price? make sure you test drive it for sure if you havent already pay close attention for any weird sounds. also when the key is in the ignition make sure CEL at least blinks cause is could be unplugged from the back (hapened when i bought my car didnt realize)
ask for all records you can get for all previouse work and just be aware of what your getting. interior looks pretty messy from the pics

Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

check your private message blingonmywrist
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mob/1883233229.html

Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

sorry repost

Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by B5 Audi
Miles, price? make sure you test drive it for sure if you havent already pay close attention for any weird sounds. also when the key is in the ignition make sure CEL at least blinks cause is could be unplugged from the back (hapened when i bought my car didnt realize)
ask for all records you can get for all previouse work and just be aware of what your getting. interior looks pretty messy from the pics
It's got 117,900 miles, and I bought it for $2,903. Kelley Blue Book has it valued at $4,570 in "Fair" condition. (http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/audi/a4...mileage=117900)

Here's more information about the car on the eBay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

According to any records (which are available through eBay) it has a clean title. No current loan/liens, although I'm unsure about any accidents, they don't seem to be detailed on eBay.

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 PM
4th Gear

check the f.a.q. sticky at the top of the B5 listings. It will tell you everything you need to know... welcome to AF.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Ditto on the FAQs stickies.
This vehicle is well vetted, virtually anything that is going to happen is listed in the faqs.

Ditto on the test drive.
Make sure you feel the turbo kicking in strong. If you're not expecting it, replacing the turbo is an expensive way to start your A4 relationship.

Listen for excessive clicking (knocking) from the engine bay, and clunking around the wheels.

Check the dipstick and dipstick plastic receiver, to make sure they are not chipped or broken. It is a common problem, and can cause the oil level to be misread. Managing oil levels in these cars is critical. They don't hold much oil, and running low can be disastrous.

Try to find out when the timing belt was last replaced. Not many survive to 117K without a change, so there's a high probability it has been changed, you just need to find out when. About every 60K is recommended, this is another opportunity for disaster if allowed to fail. If you can't find out, count on getting it done or doing it yourself. Doing it yourself is a great way to get to know your A4, and learning to love it in "service position".

Be sure to get the Radio CODE! It needs to be reset every time the battery is disconnected.

Gas gauge is usually a pretty easy fix.

Window regulators/motors and cables seem to be a common problem with about all VAG cars. Count on replacing both sides if the current owner has the buttons unplugged.

Check the sun roof operation too.

Nice looking car, good luck!

Tlag
99.5 A4TQtip

Last edited by Tlag; 08-24-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Site Moderator

I love red B5's! That color and cloth combo are very rare. Too bad they arent the sport cloth seats

Seems like a good pickup for the price.

The silver trim is not original in case you didn't know.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I've gone through the F.A.Q. and found some more things to look for.
A couple quick questions:
In the picture that's looking into the back seat, does the trim on the door look like the wood trim? or could it be a reflection?
On the dash, along the carbon-fiber-looking trim, is there supposed to be a "Quattro" emblem on the passenger side? or is this just an extra option?
The silver trim that onepoint8tee pointed out doesn't seem to be original, but is the carbon-fiber-looking trim?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM
4th Gear

The wood trim in the back is stock, the carbon fiber in the front is a replacement. There should be a quattro emblem on the passenger side, as well as on the front grill. Since it's not in either location, I hate to tell you that you most likely have a FWD car.

Quick Reply: Just bought an A4. What should I check for?