B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

just bought an '96 A4 :D... i have some problems though...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:08 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation just bought an '96 A4 :D... i have some problems though...

so i just bought a well maintained, 168k, A4 - 5 speed.

so my list of problems / questons are as follows. (and yeah, i used the search function first)

cruise control. it doesnt work, is this a common problem?

high beams. the colum switch makes the 'in dash high beam light' come on, but i dont get the actual headlights... im gonna go check bulbs first

instant MPG. do all A4's have this? i have the slot in my dash for it, but nothing shows up. i do get the outside tempurature right below where i think it should be.

front bumper. apparently im missing the lower part of the bumper. like the air scoop? of something. i honestly dont know, but its the lowest part of the bumper.

i cannot get the windsheild wiper sprayer to come on. does the fluid have to be 100% full?

where can i purchase a new stearing wheel? besides ebay. mine is peeling apart.

and i was wondering if thier is a list of things a new A4 owner should check for?

thanks guy, and gals

Old 08-06-2011, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by compninja7823
so i just bought a well maintained, 168k, A4 - 5 speed.

so my list of problems / questons are as follows. (and yeah, i used the search function first)

cruise control. it doesnt work, is this a common problem?
Yes.

high beams. the colum switch makes the 'in dash high beam light' come on, but i dont get the actual headlights... im gonna go check bulbs first
Good idea, check the bulbs/fuses.

instant MPG. do all A4's have this? i have the slot in my dash for it, but nothing shows up. i do get the outside tempurature right below where i think it should be.
The '96 doesn't have this, gotta use good ol' division to figure out your MPG

front bumper. apparently im missing the lower part of the bumper. like the air scoop? of something. i honestly dont know, but its the lowest part of the bumper.
The lower valence it's called, should be able to find one at a junkyard or a part out on any of the popular Audi forums. (Audizine, VWvortex etc.

i cannot get the windsheild wiper sprayer to come on. does the fluid have to be 100% full?
Your windshield washer pump is probably bad. Pretty easy replacement and should only cost you about $30.

where can i purchase a new stearing wheel? besides ebay. mine is peeling apart.
Again, any of the classifieds sections on the popular forums.

and i was wondering if thier is a list of things a new A4 owner should check for?
Read the stickies at the top of the page for more information about your car.

thanks guy, and gals
Answers in bold.

Last edited by NickBroderick; 08-06-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

hey, thanks!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Do your low beams work? I was able to get highs only, by holding the turn signal lever in flash position, when my headlight switch burned out. I solved the problem by installing a jumper wire between the parking light and headlight fuses. I no longer have separate parking and headlight control, since both sets come on in both "on positions" now, but at least I have headlights.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by John_E
Do your low beams work? I was able to get highs only, by holding the turn signal lever in flash position, when my headlight switch burned out. I solved the problem by installing a jumper wire between the parking light and headlight fuses. I no longer have separate parking and headlight control, since both sets come on in both "on positions" now, but at least I have headlights.
my low beams do work.
but the problem i found is that the high beam bulbs died. so ill get new ones tomorrow.
but when looking for the bulbs, i found these black boxes that say 'xentec' on it. and i dont know if they are aftermarket hid's? or not.