B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just bought an 01 A4. Will post pics when i get it. And I have few quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator

You should also ask around - you may find there are guys from this forum near you that work on these cars and can/will handle it. I know up here in NY there are several of us who do this, and other guys on here as well in different areas. You may find you'll get a better price from someone who actually will do a better job and give more of a damn about it than a timeclock mechanic who sees it as just a way to stay awake til quitting time...

Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 AM
4th Gear

I say wait on the TB (I know, I know, HUGE gamble) until after winter (less than 2000 miles you say?) then do the TB and valve cover gaskets yourself in the spring when it's not your DD anymore. It's not as complicated as it looks. With a little mechanical skills, a decent tool set, and a lot of patience, you will gain an incredible amount of experience. After you finish a TB job, you will have a sense of accomplishment, and you will be amazed at what else you'll be ready to tackle on your own (saving considerable money at a shop). Also, the parts kit from Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts is a little more expensive, but it includes the G12 coolant, and you can rent a special tools kit from them which will help you out considerably. It also includes some pretty decent instructions.

Like I said, it's a gamble, so proceed at your own risk. If you don't like the sound of that, then go with your usual guy.

Good luck.