B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

JHM shifter linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
2nd Gear

ok i made a quick vid....

This honestly makes it seem A LOT worse than it really is... i honestly dont even notice it anymore unless someone brings it up, but can say that it is the worst when you are in gear and decelerating, because there is little engine noise

Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

oh yeah and the last part where i did a little pull you can definitely tell my clutch is TOAST, ah.

Thanks to mike at ringer-racing.com though, my clutchmasters fx400 clutch kit / flywheel will be here on the 8th! Cant wait!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

A4 Cragman, I read what mike wrote, but am not sure if its entirely correct. Now i havent looked under a 2.8 lately, but I would imagine its a tighter fit near the trans, with the dual exhaust and all. It might not be as easy as a 1.8. But if its got the same room as a 1.8 u can have it done in no more then 10 mins. Since installing my JHM short shift i haven't noticed the supposed rubber noise or increase in vibration. My shifter is not a push down type reverse, which may make the difference, considering AutoUnionFan isnt experiencing it either. HUGE difference in shifting though, love that part. The delrin bushing i believe are made of delrin, a type of plastic if im not mistaken. Very durable though, we use them on our porsche race cars, and they hold up!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear

Sweet, thats tight, glad to know it is something that makes a noticeable difference. Now are you talking just the shifter itself or the linkage upgrade? I can't afford a JHM shifter right now, and if I could, can't justify the cost for the sake of how long I'll have this car, but I am interested in the linkage upgrade and the delrin bushings if they help the sloppiness of the shifter and increase precision as much as claimed. Also, I thought the same thing about Mike's post, the same thought crossed my mind that the shifter rod isn't as easy to get at with the dual exhaust, which is why I first asked if the exhaust would have to be dropped. I would be delighted if he is in fact speaking truth though, that would help my decision making process go faster, as the thought of dropping the exhaust with only a jack and jackstands at my disposal (especially with it being rather frigid around these parts lately) is quite hindering to the consideration of doing this upgrade, but if it is in fact that easy, that'd be awesome.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM

On my 2.8QM I have the full JHM treatment, coupled with an Unorthodox LWFW and Southbend Stage II clutch.

It definitely has had a distinct "rattling" sound since day 1, but I like it as it sounds more like a dry-clutch from a racing Ducati. Each car is different, and my combo definitely is louder than some, and mostly when in neutral with the clutch out.

Essentially whatever noise is in the clutch/fw, you will have transmitted back through the solid linkage.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

hey cyclosteve, you've got the pss9's i see. Can u send a picture of your ride height. I can get the PSS9's for a reasonable price and wanted your input. Better then most, or worse? I install the PSS9's on a b6 S4 and they were sweet, but its a totally different set up then my b5. You also have the dampning adjustments on the shocks as well, right?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:41 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by A4Cragman
Sweet, thats tight, glad to know it is something that makes a noticeable difference. Now are you talking just the shifter itself or the linkage upgrade? I can't afford a JHM shifter right now, and if I could, can't justify the cost for the sake of how long I'll have this car, but I am interested in the linkage upgrade and the delrin bushings if they help the sloppiness of the shifter and increase precision as much as claimed. Also, I thought the same thing about Mike's post, the same thought crossed my mind that the shifter rod isn't as easy to get at with the dual exhaust, which is why I first asked if the exhaust would have to be dropped. I would be delighted if he is in fact speaking truth though, that would help my decision making process go faster, as the thought of dropping the exhaust with only a jack and jackstands at my disposal (especially with it being rather frigid around these parts lately) is quite hindering to the consideration of doing this upgrade, but if it is in fact that easy, that'd be awesome.

The 2.8 might be a little harder since it does in fact have dual exhaust, its easy on the 1.8 since the exhaust is on the other side.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CycloSteve
On my 2.8QM I have the full JHM treatment, coupled with an Unorthodox LWFW and Southbend Stage II clutch.

It definitely has had a distinct "rattling" sound since day 1, but I like it as it sounds more like a dry-clutch from a racing Ducati. Each car is different, and my combo definitely is louder than some, and mostly when in neutral with the clutch out.

Essentially whatever noise is in the clutch/fw, you will have transmitted back through the solid linkage.
yeah i have southbend stg 3 in there right now with stock fly. maybe that has something to do with it too, didnt think of that! would make a lot of sense though

Old 12-04-2009, 04:52 PM
4th Gear

I have never had that issue on my car and thats with a LWFW/6-puck setup or with the FX850 twin disk I have in there now, plus I am running solid motor/transmission mounts.