B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Its a sad day guys... im out of the game

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default Its a sad day guys... im out of the game

I know i should post in the classifieds, but i wanted to give the guys on here first crack at it.

Car started misfiring its face off on the highway one night going to pick up my girlfriend and i babied it around the past couple days and then it started misfiring again and wanted to die on me.. babied it into a parking lot where it started a loud knock/tick clearly coming from one of the cyclinders.

my mechanic tried to solve the misfiring and found out a plug had exploded on both ends of it, and was certain the knocking was coming from the 3rd cyclinder. says they all still have compression.. but i just dont have the money to throw at a 99 with 163k and not knowing what else might arise.. the car is super clean, interior is mint as mint.. some rust developing on the outside but youve all seen the pics.. car is clean.. sucks.... i dont want to give up cause im in love with this car but its just become time to be realistic and make the right choice.

Im parting out the car, and am developing a full list of the things im wanting to sell, im not doing a full part out, ill prolly just scrap the car or give it to my mechanic to use as a parts car after i strip it of the goodies.

If anyone is interested in anything, let me know.. ill throw a list of the parts i know as of right now ill be selling.. i have prices in mind but im not stuck on all of them 100%.. i will still be a huge part of the community and when i can, i will be back into another Audi for sure, but most likely a b6 S4 and not another b5...

18x8 Rs4 reps in hyper silver, in 95% good shape with MINOR curb on one wheel.. with brand new in may 225-40-18 Federal 595 summer tires - $600

APR tuned 91 oct. ECU, 99 AEB manual should be 557P ECU, will double check - $300

Meloman Heatshield - $50

007 DV in silver with all springs - $50

Black APR T.I.P installed last year with clamps - $80

2.5" VMR test pipe - $70

2.25" Borla Cat back resonated (will check mileage) - $325

Spec iPod integration from stereo controls into glovebox - $60

AWE Vent boost gauge (omori gauge) Red backlight - $60 alone, $80 with vent pod

A8/TT front brakes (zimmerman rotors, will check mileage, about 5k) - $125

Hazard triangle - $15

Stage 2 Daily southbend clutch kit (installed last summer, ~10k miles) - $250

Depo 2 piece projectors with 6000k DDM HIDs - $150 for everything

LED reverse lights - $10

LED interior lights (not sure how many bulbs but alot) - $15 for all

98 on facelift tails - $40 pair

Prolly will do more, but the car hasnt been taken apart yet, so i still have everything.. wont post on other forums til later on, but will also post local on CL.. not everything but the big ticket items... PM me or email originalsin34@gmail.com with questions... this is my first time doing this so hopefully i can get back to everyone in a timely manner.. if this needs to be moved by the mods then thats fine, i just wanted the b5 guys to see it.. Thanks again guys

Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM

will the clutch fit an s4? know off the top of your head?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Damn, I wish you were closer and I had more money. I would buy the headlights, taillights, exhaust, and brakes.

And it sounds like you are making a hasty decision. With the amount of time and money you have put into the car already it doesn't sound like you are in over your head yet. What is actually wrong with the motor besides a tick? Did the spark plug tattoo the pistons? Shoot pieces into the turbo?

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 07-28-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

^^^ this. Figure it out first before getting rid of it Buddy. You may find its less than catastrophic. Hopefully it's minor enough that you keep the car. Shoot me a text here and there as the plans come together ok?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Legal Moderator

i wish your were in minnesota. id love to help take apart the motor and see whats wrong. i see it this way. obviously if you take it to a mechanic, your dont do a lot of work yourself. but thats ok. i would take it apart anyways and try to fix it yourself. what do you got to lose? your gonna part out anyways. if you take it apart we can help get it back together and running. youd regret the partout

Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear

hey fellas.. in response to most of you guys, i do as much wrenching myself as i am able, and with what i have availible, and time. Being an assistant golf pro, i have nearly no time hahaha, especially to tear into an engine. Having my mechanic has been a godsend with my car, and honestly i dont think its AS major as a blown motor cause its not. But what does need to happen is this: The engine needs to be torn down and assessed as to whats wrong.. it could be a minor couple of parts, or more expensive parts. Then needs to be all put back together, and hopefully its good to go. If not, theres more expense, and i just cant throw money at the girl and "hope" she holds strong. i would need to pay my mechanic to do the work, cause i simply dont have the time, or the complete knowhow. if i had people like real close by and the time to get into it, id absolutley 100% do it, cause the last thing i want is to get rid of the car. The thing i dunno if you guys remember is the car has no equity, cause its a salvage that has been totaled once.. so i would also be sinking the money into something that essentially is worth nothing (except to me of course)

the turbo is fine, we definatley believe its confined to one of the cylinders. they do all have compression which is good news... i just honestly have no way to be able to put the car up and take it all apart.. finishing a garage at my house right now which will allow me to do so after its done, but its not yet. Have most tools to do the jobs, but i would definatley need someone there with me to help me along with tearing into it. and thats the problem, we dont know FOR SURE without tearing it down what the problem is. and its not a tick, its a loud metal on metal misplaced knock. more of a clack, and real loud. the car still runs.. and the misfire problem is another issue, tried a new ignition module which did nothing.

the last post is very true, and yours too Jeremy. I dont wanna do this but i just dont have the time to do this.... i will eventually for sure but right now i dont.. plus the money i get from parts would really help towards fixing up the car im driving now as mine (2002 volvo v70) that my parents never drive and needs some refreshers... 74k miles... loaded to the ****... slow 5cyl and i just..... i miss my car!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM

sounds like maybe a taking the oil pan off and having a look at the bottom end can help. You run a leak down on it?

Metal on metal kinda piston slap it sounds like. If your holding compression the valves should be ok. but a leak down will help narrow it down. Check the rod bearings.

it doesn't found like its worth giving up and parting out a nice car. It shouldn't take too much to get it back and running again.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

PM sent.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

will have more details after i go over things with my guy.. PMs replied..

Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I agree with everyone else. It'll be so sad to see this thing get torn down into pieces. I really don't want to see it happens.

Let us know what you decide. You got the support of the whole B5 community to help you get this thing back up and running. If I remember correctly, I think achTTung is from Vermont area. Not sure where though but maybe he's down to help take this thing apart.

Quick Reply: Its a sad day guys... im out of the game