B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

It's chilly tonight and I don't have antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by hiwords
also, don't drive your car for a long time because it'll probably overheat and kill your engine.
Thats not true, water is actually the best coolant. Most race cars run straight water, or often times use "water-wetter" as an additive. Street cars shouldn't use this practice due to corrosion, as race cars are usually drained after each race. Keep in mind, water doesn't boil under pressure.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
5th Gear

i hope somebody on the forum can come do it for you for a smaller fee because a heater core swap is a huge job. you literally have to take the whole dash out. as for the propeller shaft leak, i think they're talking about the water pump as that's the only thing that i know on the car with a propeller and a shaft that could leak coolant. how is your coolant temp guage? does it move around a lot? if so you might have a bad thermostat that's causing the no heat. i hope your original coolant wasn't pink anymore when you added the universal stuff because it will jelly up and then you're major screwed lol. don't ever mix different types of coolants. one thing for sure is if you were near NY, there's a group of us here who would love to take your whole car apart hehe. i'm sure auditech79 would do it for a small fee if he wasn't busy. not sure where he is but i know he's in cali. good luck, idk wut else to say

as for fastera4thanurs, i was thinking it might overheat cuz she's leaking. idk how bad the leak is but there is a possibility it could overheat if she drives it stop and go for a long period.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Thats not true, water is actually the best coolant. Most race cars run straight water, or often times use "water-wetter" as an additive. Street cars shouldn't use this practice due to corrosion, as race cars are usually drained after each race. Keep in mind, water doesn't boil under pressure.
Yeah straight water cools better, water has a higher boiling point when its under pressure but antifreeze does help protect against boilover (whether you have to worry with straight water i dont know).

Yeah id check around and see if you can get a better price than the dealer, the heatercore has alot of labor inolved.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear

If its leaking at the water pump I would fix it NOW! Not too long ago an A6 3.0 came in it only had 90k miles and was on the original water pump and timing belt. The pump seazed up and took out the timing belt bent 3 valves cracked to pistons. All together it ended up to almost $5000 (might be exaggerated a little I cant remember but it was over 3k for sure) We are not an Audi dealer either we charge $70.00 an hour or something which is decently below most dealers and it still cost him that much to repair. It also took a month or 2 because parts were not immediately available where as a timing belt job and water pump can be done in 1 day easy and costs quite a bit less money.