B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

iPod Set-Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
2nd Gear

Thats the Alpine eX-10. I took it apart and found the screen was about the right size. I took that vent and carved it out with a dremel tool until just the screen fit (with the Alpine housing still in place). It was not too difficult but you have to be real careful. I've done a lot of custom work like this so I did not find it too hard- oh and you have to have no worries about voiding the warranty. The Alpine works good, although I did experience some noises even when using the lineout, but that may be because I'm running into a 10 year old Kenwood Excelon 911x head unit. When I use it with the FM I dont' hear the noises anymore but the dynamic range sufferes a bit. As for the Bluetooth feature, it works. I put the mic in the typical location I usually do for most bluetooth units but everyone complained they couldn't hear me very well. I tried holding the mic right in front and that worked, but not pratical.

Check Alpine's website for more info. The display does not do video, but it will display album art and has a pretty nice gui. It's entirly controled by a wireless remote. I really like it alot, but there is much room for improvement (It should do video!!!)

I ran the cable (actually got a longer cable that's normally used for connecting the ipod to a head unit) to the center consel- that was probably the most difficult part. That center consel is an engineering nightmare!

Hope that helps.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

When you said you ran the cable through the center console, did you drill a hole through it? When I take off the vents, there isn't really any hole that connects it to the center console.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Default auxiliary input

I have the P.I.E Aud-Aux adapter that plugs into the CD Changer plug in the trunk. Then use CD Changer button on radio to activate. Does not control Ipod from stock Symphony head unit though.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8NEYI7j...s-AUD-AUX.html

Old 09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Works fine and only costs about $20..Just pop the tape in and plug in your Ipod or any other mp3 player.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now for my iPod Touch. Of course, it looks tacky as hell!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 PM
SoCal Crew Member

here Randy - http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pieaudaux.html

70 bucks. Plugs into the CD changer input in the trunk. I ran a cord through the seats up to my dash. It's loose. I don't care. It works. I'm sure there's a way to run it through somewhere a little more cleanly, but I'm more of a function kind of guy.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 AM
1st Gear

I'll tell you what i'd like to do, anyone with experience please help out and feel free to use this idea too. I love my choons so want the quality to be as good as it gets.

I want to fit an ipod dock into my ashtray, so when i eject the ashtray i can just drop my ipod vertically onto it. This will be connected to my aftermarket head unit via a ipod/usb cable from the back of the head, which will hopefully charge it too. This will require a new head unit with a USB at the back and a bit of tinkering with the Ashtray. Should be fairly handy but I think it will look and work real nice.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec142.shtml

A little overkill for a daily driver IMO, but still cool.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:03 PM

Something like this?

http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/...PKG/Detail.bok

I had been looking at it at one point, but i don't like the screen being obstructed while i'm shifting gears.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

something very like that i suppose, except it will come out instead of the ashtray. hoping to get it controlled through the head too

Quick Reply: iPod Set-Up