B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

iPod integration with factory stereo (who has done it?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 PM
1st Gear
Default iPod integration with factory stereo (who has done it?)

Hi - I'm new here. I have just recently purchased a 98.5 A4 quattro with the factor bose stereo (including cd changer). I would love to get setup to hook up my iPhone to listen to music (hands free would be great as well). I have been searching for the best options and it seems that there is not an all in one solution for hands free and music. (my other criteria is that things remain as close to factory as possible - I don't like extra pieces in view or extra controls). So far I've found these two options for music integration

USA Spec iPod interface controller
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...ce.html?tp=120

DICE iPoad adapter
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_531IAUD...er.html?tp=120

Has anyone here used either of these? Is the phone functionality still available while in use, or does it get cut off? Does the song title display on the dash like radio stations? How hard is it to navigate songs using the factory head unit controls?

Any help is appreciated. If there are other options, please let me know.

Thanks
Charlie

Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear

well right off the top, the USA Spec iPod interface says it works for models 2005+, which I don't think would work with your 1998.5, I may be wrong.

The other says it'll work on your car...so....didn't know if you noticed that.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
well right off the top, the USA Spec iPod interface says it works for models 2005+, which I don't think would work with your 1998.5, I may be wrong.

The other says it'll work on your car...so....didn't know if you noticed that.
Good point. In the description it says 2005+ - but when I narrowed down the search for my car it still showed it. I'll definitely call Crutchfield to verify prior to ordering anything. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

So i have done some research myself on the Dice-I-R for Audi's.
Looks like this is currently one of the better solutions. However i have read that it will NOT charge the new iphone 3GS. It will play the music, but not charge the phone. If you have an old ipod, this is not an issue. This install is just plug-n-play with the back of your head unit.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

so i guess that either the BRAND new Dice-I-R does charge the new iphone, or you can purchase this item to just make it work:
http://cablejive.com/iphone_3g_charge_converter.html

Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator

I recently had the same question trying to decide which route to go with.

Some of the members were kind of enough to share their setup.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho....php?t=139462&

Old 10-14-2009, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

I think I can help on this topic.

I work at Best Buy and recently bought a 2000 A4 with Bose and have done some research on iPhone integration. Peripheral makes an iPod/iPhone part that will allow these to work in the car. However, there are ups and owns...

Cons:
Will not give you control through the radio until you have selected the artist or playlist in the iPod/iPhone.
Once you have done so you will be able to skip forward and back ONLY.
You will NOT get information on the screen.
You will NOT retain CD changer. The iPod/iPhone cable is inserted into this slot.

Pros:
Works with iPhone/iPod/iPhone 3G(S).
Charges.
Does allow control of skipping tracks.
Uses CDC button to select source.

When I called AAMP I gave them the description of my car. So, those of you that do not have the Bose or DO have the other sound package I am not positive that it works the same for you. It does work with all iPhones because I have the 3GS and needed to make sure.

There are two parts to order and it will be over 150 bucks. Scosche is another stereo part company and they have one that is about the same price but its the same story. For 150 you can also get an AUX input. However, that pretty pricey for no charging or control.

For those of us that have the older cars that didn't offer SAT as an option the best solution for an aftermarket iPod setup is to replace the radio. But, if you want to keep the factory radio then you should look into either a really good FM transmitter with RDS display or buy this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IY598O

Now, with this unit it will give you the option of iPod/iPhone(all) or an AUX input. One or the other, NOT both (aux and ipod cable). Quality is excellent. I have put this in my friends car and several customers have purchased this. It DOES need to be connected to a power source behind the dash and you will end up with a power switch mounted into the car. Other than the power switch you will get just the iPod cable coming out of the dash somewhere. It does charge and controls remain in the iPod/iPhone. Additional parts will be necessary for the Audi since we have European styled antennas at the back of the radio. If you go to a local Best Buy to purchase this and have it installed the part will run $89.99. You may purchase the Amazon unit and have Best Buy install that. There isn't a specific SKU for Best Buy to use on this install but expect about $60 in labor.

The part still uses FM to transmit the audio but since it is hard wired you will not get static or problems from local radio stations. Also, Best Buy usually has some other types of switches in the install bay that they can use to make it look better instead of using the big black round one that needs a huge hole drilled. (just need to ask). I really recommend this option especially since the options that cost around $150 STILL need to be installed and that usually is $50 at Best Buy.

If you have a newer Audi that has the SAT option I would definitely look into the Peripheral options as they will allow control through the radio and give you the display.

Any questions?

Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huntington-A4
I think I can help on this topic.

I work at Best Buy and recently bought a 2000 A4 with Bose and have done some research on iPhone integration. Peripheral makes an iPod/iPhone part that will allow these to work in the car. However, there are ups and owns...

Cons:
Will not give you control through the radio until you have selected the artist or playlist in the iPod/iPhone.
Once you have done so you will be able to skip forward and back ONLY.
You will NOT get information on the screen.
You will NOT retain CD changer. The iPod/iPhone cable is inserted into this slot.

Pros:
Works with iPhone/iPod/iPhone 3G(S).
Charges.
Does allow control of skipping tracks.
Uses CDC button to select source.

When I called AAMP I gave them the description of my car. So, those of you that do not have the Bose or DO have the other sound package I am not positive that it works the same for you. It does work with all iPhones because I have the 3GS and needed to make sure.

There are two parts to order and it will be over 150 bucks. Scosche is another stereo part company and they have one that is about the same price but its the same story. For 150 you can also get an AUX input. However, that pretty pricey for no charging or control.

For those of us that have the older cars that didn't offer SAT as an option the best solution for an aftermarket iPod setup is to replace the radio. But, if you want to keep the factory radio then you should look into either a really good FM transmitter with RDS display or buy this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IY598O

Now, with this unit it will give you the option of iPod/iPhone(all) or an AUX input. One or the other, NOT both (aux and ipod cable). Quality is excellent. I have put this in my friends car and several customers have purchased this. It DOES need to be connected to a power source behind the dash and you will end up with a power switch mounted into the car. Other than the power switch you will get just the iPod cable coming out of the dash somewhere. It does charge and controls remain in the iPod/iPhone. Additional parts will be necessary for the Audi since we have European styled antennas at the back of the radio. If you go to a local Best Buy to purchase this and have it installed the part will run $89.99. You may purchase the Amazon unit and have Best Buy install that. There isn't a specific SKU for Best Buy to use on this install but expect about $60 in labor.

The part still uses FM to transmit the audio but since it is hard wired you will not get static or problems from local radio stations. Also, Best Buy usually has some other types of switches in the install bay that they can use to make it look better instead of using the big black round one that needs a huge hole drilled. (just need to ask). I really recommend this option especially since the options that cost around $150 STILL need to be installed and that usually is $50 at Best Buy.

If you have a newer Audi that has the SAT option I would definitely look into the Peripheral options as they will allow control through the radio and give you the display.

Any questions?
Thanks for all of the info! For me, control from the radio is a must. I hate trying to mess with iPod while driving - and ideally I want it in the center arm rest out of sight. I see that the first option you listed is close, but still requires selecting playlist from the iPod itself. Do you know if the DICE unit is the same way? I think I am going to use my old iPod 4G as a permanent music tank for my car - so charging is a must, but the tricky part about working as a phone is off the table.

charlie

Old 10-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Huntington-A4 - great info! Are you located in Huntington, CA?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

Well, its all because of the radio itself. There is no way around the controls. I know the DICE unit will at least let you skip artists and albums and playlists based on hitting the 1, 2, 3, etc. buttons on the radio. There will never be a search feature with the display though. That's just the problem of having a car this old. Newer Audi models have no problems adding a nice aftermarket solution so long as they have the SAT button. If you go with the DICE unit make sure it has the newest cable so that it will work with the 4G iPod and anything you may purchase in the future.

I'm sure the piece from Peripheral that I mentioned will work in this way as well.

Quick Reply: iPod integration with factory stereo (who has done it?)