B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Intro and a couple of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Talking Intro and a couple of questions!

Hi there everyone! For the past couple of weeks Ive been stalking the forums here and finally decided to go from lurker mode to member mode. I really like the site (cant say my girlfriend does too much already cause its taking away from "her" time ) and have found a lot a lot a lot of useful informational threads and would like to really thank you guys for taking the time to post detailed and helpful stuff like that.

I'm currently in the process of selling my 97 Acura TL and have set my eyes on a B5 1.8t! The stock well build motor is exactly what I have been looking for, now all I have to do is find a well maintained one local and ill be one happy camper.

Now for the questions -----

As far as with a 1.8t's horsepower, what is going to be the power difference on a FWD as opposed to an AWD? and also how will the horsepower be split up on an AWD (I'm new to AWD cars)?

After reading on here it sounding like having a TIP (turbo inlet pipe if im correct?) presented issues for horsepower? got a little lost on the thread so im just looking for an explanation.

I am looking to modify the car and was wondering if there were any good recommendations for any good sites other than APT, 034, audizine classifieds, and pegparts?

As far as 440-580 injectors go, what kind of gas mileage average is a 300 horsepower a4 going to run?

Thanks so much in advanced guys! I'm happy to make my first post and can promise many more will follow.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Administrator

First off, welcome to membership As for your questions (in no order), gas mileage is hard to say because with an upgraded engine it's all about how you drive. Expect to see a loss of a few mpg overall but you should still be in the mid-20s if thevengine is in good shape. The split is 50/50 on a quattro (later models were slightly rear-biased at 40/60). The TIP question I'll leave for a modded 1.8T guy to handle. Vendor-wise, check the forum sponsor link on the toolbar up above - all are supporters of the site and earned the right to do so with quality gear and good service

Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Welcome! Sounds like you've got some good questions, and it's always nice to hear that you did a little lookin around before posting Now down to business!!

Stock, I don't know that there's any difference between the FWD and AWD 1.8T as far as horsepower is concerned. That said, I very much recommend going with Quattro. I think you'll be very pleased with the results, and AWD is always better for putting the ponies to the pavement. As for the power distribution, Quattro is a bit different than 4WD or some other AWD setups you might be familiar with. There are some really helpful vid's floating out there someplace but I can't for the life of me find any of the good ones right now . Maybe someone else could help out?

To your second question, it sounds like you're confusing two terms. T.I.P., as you mentioned, is short for turbo inlet pipe. Lotsa the turbo guys upgrade the stock one to silicone from 034 or some such place. The "tip" you're referring to that limits horsepower is short for tip-tronic, the fancy-shmancy name Audi gave their shiftable automatic transmission. The reason that limits horsepower is that the torque converter tends to grenade once you get above 300 horsepower or so (give or take). So that being the case, if you wanna make power I would go with the 5 speed manual. Though Mike Hood has recently determined that those won't last above 800 HP

As far as tuning sites go, ECS is a good one for basic stuff. If you're looking for OEM replacement parts, timing belt kits, gaskets, etc. and soforth, I would suggest Blaufergnugen

EDIT: forgot to add, the aforementioned Mike Hood also sells tons of really really cool stuff that your wife will get mad at you for buying

Unfortunately I don't know much about running bigger injectors, as I am but a lowly 12v owner

Last edited by CCA4; 03-19-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: shameless plug
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM

Thank you both. That really clears things up and gets me in the right direction. Quattro is definitely going to be my pick and the 5speed is without a question.

TIP-TROPIC!!!! I so should have known that! I thought I was going crazy trying to understand what they were meaning lol. I've been looking at ECS as well as a couple other vendors and have been making my list (evil laughh) hah.

Also I saw the W word mentioned (wife). As for now she is my girlfriend and I'm trying to keep it that way for now hahh

Thanks again both of you guys for your input, it was really helpful. Holler at me if you find a good a4 in Georgia for sale!