B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Interior lights not switching off when locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Interior lights not switching off when locked

It has worked before.. but from yesterday and onwards, it does not turn off when I lock it.

When it's locked, and I try to lock it again, the fuel filler lock bolt engine starts running, while the other locking motors do nothing.
I've tried spraying some anti-corrosive solvant in there, and pulling it a bit in and out, nothing works.
The lock bolt comes out just fine, and it retracts just fine. It has a little bit of slack, but only a couple of millimeters.

Can someone check if the lockbolt engine is running when you try to lock when car is already locked?

Yesterday, I did three things. I washed it (also inside the fuel filler cap area). I forgot to close the lid, so I drove with the lid open for about 2km to the store.. Maybe some dirt got in there somehow, since it was open.. But concidering the lid is blocking the air, it couldn't have been much..

Also I swapped stereo, but that was just a standard ISO-plug swap.

Help!

Old 03-05-2009, 05:20 PM
5th Gear

did you accidentally turn them on and didn't turn them off? they won't turn off if you don't put it on the door setting

Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

You mean turned the lights in the "on" position, to the right? Nope, they're set correctly to left position. I hope the fix is easy, but I guess just not THAT easy
I misunderstood how the lock system works, it's one single vacuum and pressure pump that is located around the fuel tank which controls all the locks.. didn't know that. So I hear the pump for the whole system. I still need to find out of the buzzing sound of the locking pump is to be heard if you try to lock a car that is already locked?
Also, how does the interior light autoshutoff work?
When I lock it, it starts to fade a tiny bit, then it pops back on. Seems like a classic stuck switch example?