B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

interested in buying this 99 audi a4 manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:19 AM
1st Gear
Default interested in buying this 99 audi a4 manual

just a few questions about these cars.

1. are parts expensive or cheap

2. how hard is it to work on it

3.what are the common problems with this cars

4. how reliable is it?

5. what does the stock turbo boost at, whats the max i could boost it at?

If i get it i was interested in getting a boost controller, and a bov. would i have to do anything special?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 AM
1st Gear

Your probably going to get flamed for posting this, but i wont troll.

To answer them

1. Parts aren't bad, they can cost a pretty penny sometimes.

2. I'm below the average DIY mechanic, and its been pretty simple to work on as long as you educate yourself on what your doing before you do it. The Forums help alot with that.

3.Problems that i know of- Timing belt, Control arms, Coil packs, 02 sensors.

4. ive owned 3 of them, and as long as you know your car, and dont neglect it they last awhile, but you also have to baby them. They require maintenance.

5. Stock turbo is around like 5-8psi i believe, But ive seen it boosted up to 18psi and even that's alot of boost to feel comfortable with.

Uhm, our cars aren't meant to run boost controllers and blow off valves, you typically only see that on jdm cars or when euro cars start running big turbos. Id recommend getting your ecu chipped, and running a diverter valve. Is still gives a nice woosh sound but recirculates the air rather than blowing it into the atmosphere

I'm no expert, that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by HulkB5; 10-07-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 AM
3rd Gear

Read the ******* sticky.

-NickBroderick

Old 10-07-2011, 04:02 AM
Tech Guru

Since Alex is mad because Nick won't tickle his bumbum, I'll be a good guy and post the link to the A4 Newbie Guide which will answer all your questions in detail. https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...ion-2-a-80968/

Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

sorry i didn't read the sticky. i apriciate all the info. just read the sticky. just a few more questions.

1. the dv (diverter box) is like a bov correct?

2. is there any reason why i couldnt use a boost controller

3. the audi i want to buy probably needs a new abs module. since the abs, and brake light is on.

the airbag light is on too ( havent searched that yet)

sorry if i seem dumb i am coming from a 240sx, so forgive my native tounge of boost controller bov and fmic i guess ill pick it up today nice to meet you guys i will be around for a while lol.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear

Hi cloud,

Don't mind these guys. Their bark is worse than their bite. I've learned a lot from asking questions. But before you ask a question, you should always use the search function on the upper right hand side and search for threads.

My modus operandi is to do most of the easy stuff myself as DIY projects, but I also established a good relationship with a reliable independent Audi mechanic who does the really difficult repairs for me. He also bails me out when I screw up. Haven't had to flat bed it to him yet, though!

Purchasing a Bentley repair manual is critical to having success repairing stuff, and an investment in VAG-COM over at Ross-Tech is worth considering.

Welcome aboard!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

1. are parts expensive or cheap - all depends on the part that went bad. Some things you can get cheap on the net and others are just not cheap no matter where you shop (O2 Sensors, EGTs are pretty pricey if they go)

2. how hard is it to work on it - most things aren't hard to work on but the engine is kind of tight fit in there. As JDA said, get a Bentley Manual & VAG COM to ease your pain

3.what are the common problems with this cars - timing belt, TREs, CV Boots Ripping, O2 Sensors, CAs, Boost leaks from old hoses, Bad Pixels on Displays

4. how reliable is it? - it's as reliable as you make it. Keep up on the maintenance and you should be fine. I know people with over 200k Miles on theirs and they run fine. I know others that didn't even make it to 100k 'cause they didn't do the work it needed

5. what does the stock turbo boost at, whats the max i could boost it at? Stock Boost from a Stock ECU is usually around 7 psi. If you add a Chip you can boost much higher and get more HP out of it. Of course you should add the supporting mods as well (exhaust, better plugs, DP etc...)

If i get it i was interested in getting a boost controller, and a bov. would i have to do anything special?
-> These cars don't use BOVs, they need to recirculate the air pressure for the turbos. you can get a "hybrid" I guess you'd call it which is the DV / BOV if you want the noise. I like most people hate them on an Audi - BOVs belong on Honda's and Acuras IMO
You don't need a Boost controller - just chip / flash the ECU and that'll handle your boost for you.

Don't get offended but it kind of sounds like you come from a JDM Background? (honda's, Acura's, Mitsubishi

Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cloud3648
sorry i didn't read the sticky. i apriciate all the info. just read the sticky. just a few more questions.

1. the dv (diverter box) is like a bov correct?

2. is there any reason why i couldnt use a boost controller

3. the audi i want to buy probably needs a new abs module. since the abs, and brake light is on.

the airbag light is on too ( havent searched that yet)

sorry if i seem dumb i am coming from a 240sx, so forgive my native tounge of boost controller bov and fmic i guess ill pick it up today nice to meet you guys i will be around for a while lol.
1. It serves a similar purpose (vent pressurized air so it doesn't get stuck in the turbo), but as mentioned it recirculates that air back into the intake tract. The ECU accounts for this action.

2. No there isn't. You will need to have the N75 valve (stock EBC) plugged in to prevent a CEL (check engine light). I'm running a manual boost controller in parallel with my N75 to prevent boost spikes. Soon I'll only be using the MBC, but the N75 will still be plugged into its wiring harness.

3. These can usually be rebuilt for $100-150, no need for replacement.

Air bag light - this will be an issue until the ABS module is rebuilt. Once the ABS module is no longer a problem you can use VAG-COM to check which airbag connector (if any) are causing issues, jiggle the connectors and put a zip tie around them, and then clear the fault codes.

Originally Posted by JoBuNY
-> These cars don't use BOVs, they need to recirculate the air pressure for the turbos. you can get a "hybrid" I guess you'd call it which is the DV / BOV if you want the noise. I like most people hate them on an Audi - BOVs belong on Honda's and Acuras IMO
If you were to witness my car you would think it has a BOV LOL. The combination of a 3inch TIP and cone air filter causes a rather loud noise when the DV recirculates air. So I guess it's like the best of both worlds - I don't have a BOV so I can't get flamed for having one, but my car dumps air with a noise level that sounds like I have a BOV

Last edited by MetalMan; 10-07-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

MetalMan I know what you mean - I had a Stage III S4 and with the DPs in the DVs were extremely loud - BUT still NOT a BOV LOL

Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM
fra
1st Gear

You might want to check out elsawin as well as the mentioned bentley manual. Elsawin helped me out a ton, the bentley manual doesn't cover my 2.5tdi akn engine.

Quick Reply: interested in buying this 99 audi a4 manual