B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Installing hood pins

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default Installing hood pins

So I went and ordered my hood, pins and everything else to change my deer mod front end. Maybe I'm getting a little anxious, but I popped the hood and was looking for a good pin location and find no metal to place the pins in. The entire radiator support is plastic. Am I going to have add supports or what? I'm thinking I'm not going to trust some plastic to hold my hood down even at a modest 65MPH. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

You can replace your rad support for a metal one, I've seen them on ebay when I was looking a replacement for my broken support. I went OEM though and decided to order from Shokan. I didn't want to add weight to my car and if Audi decided against the metal, it must be for good reasons, they just don't pay those engineers top money to make dumb decisions.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rcheing
You can replace your rad support for a metal one, I've seen them on ebay when I was looking a replacement for my broken support. I went OEM though and decided to order from Shokan. I didn't want to add weight to my car and if Audi decided against the metal, it must be for good reasons, they just don't pay those engineers top money to make dumb decisions.
They pay them top money for A LOT of dumb ideas. Weight would be a factor. I might look into those metal ones.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jiggleo
So I went and ordered my hood, pins and everything else to change my deer mod front end. Maybe I'm getting a little anxious, but I popped the hood and was looking for a good pin location and find no metal to place the pins in. The entire radiator support is plastic. Am I going to have add supports or what? I'm thinking I'm not going to trust some plastic to hold my hood down even at a modest 65MPH. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.
Thats odd, becasue I have no issue with my hood pins that are in the plastic radiator support and my car is ran at 135-140 mph. Plus I dont even have the stock hood latch on my car anymore.

There is actually a good spot on the radiator support right near the head light. It is basically a boxed in area with just enough room for a nut to slide into.

BTW why wouldn't you trust your radiator support seeing that the stock hood latch is mounted to it and I am sure no one has ever had a problem with their stock hood flying up on its own? Believe me you are way over thinking the hood pins at this point.

Pictures of my hood pin setups. Both using the same pin location on the radiator support.

My old setup

My newer setup

Shot of the pin location.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 09-29-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks Mike that's exactly what I was thinking with the flush mounts and all. Love seeing that someone has no issues. Oh and yes I'm removing the stock hood catch.

Last edited by jiggleo; 09-29-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 PM
4th Gear

hey mike... u got that old hood still? or did u sell it? or is it the same hood from ur old to new set up?