B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Installing aftermarket tach

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
I would start off seeing if your tach wire is getting a good signal. On your car it should be a green wire on the cluster plug nearest the door.

NOt sure what everyone has against aftermarket tach's, it isn't like all of them are 5" and have to be mounted to the top of the dash board. lol

Here is the one I have in my car, its actually needed seeing that my engine makes so much power it can out rev the stock tach.

Thanks Mike-2ptzero, when he gets home, I will check for signal. If it's getting a signal when it doesn't work, that would mean the gauge is bad? If no signal, then its where it gets the signal from that's bad?

I like how you have your tach mounted. Looks good in there. Did it take a lot of cutting to get it in there?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 PM
4th Gear

Correct and you can wire your aftermarket tach right to that cluster wire.
If you are not getting a signal then the cam sensor or crank trigger wheel sensor might be bad or maybe even the wires going to them are bad.

Mine is just mounted right to the steering column cover.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
NOt sure what everyone has against aftermarket tach's, it isn't like all of them are 5" and have to be mounted to the top of the dash board. lol

Here is the one I have in my car, its actually needed seeing that my engine makes so much power it can out rev the stock tach.
It's not like everyone runs 600 AWHP either When that 97 2.8 runs in the 10s, then i think the tach might be a good idea...

OP, I know you already said it's your roommate's car, and I definitely agree that to each their own. I'm not here to judge on anyone's taste, but what we have here is rarely seen on a B5 A4. Maybe it's just the AudiForum.com community, but most of us here strive to keep things as clean as possible, tastefully modding to stay looking stock, or what, in our minds, stock should have been. I can guarantee you that you are probably the only member here whose car looks like that. For most of us, we would agree that certain mods detract from the Audi community as a whole, because this is an Audi, not a Civic or Eclipse. But, like I said, I'm not here to judge. Welcome to the Forums. Stick around for a bit and you will begin to understand what I'm talking about.

But, if you already have a tach, why install another, if you can just fix the one you got

Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 AM
1st Gear
Default found green wire

I checked that green wire like mike said. I wiggled it to see if that would make it work. It didn't. Turns out it was cut. It looks to me like the gauge cluster was cut out of his car before and wired back in. Gotta find the rest of wire to check it properly. Will post results.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default which green wire

There are 3 green wires, a blue, brown and blk stripe, which would it be?