B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Installing aftermarket tach

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Installing aftermarket tach

1997 A4 2.8 quattro 5 speed 245k

Hi, new to the forum.

I searched for a tachometer install and could not find one. The tach on my dash only works when it wants to. The speedometer also does not work when tach doesn't. I use a GPS to tell me my speed when they aren't working. The tach will help in my downshifts. I have all ready mounted it on the dash. Looks real good, I just need to know where I can get the tach signal from? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Installing aftermarket tach-020.jpg  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
5th Gear

you need to find out the root cause. it could be a sensor

BTW Boeing put a wanted ad out to whoever could find the wing missing from their dreamliner. i'm about to collect on the rewards right now

Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator

^^^this.

Please don't do this. Fix the factory tach, remove the erector set from the trunk, and swap the melon launcher out for a classier setup. These cars aren't German Civics.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:04 PM
3rd Gear

If your wing is an idication of "looks real good" than I'd hate to see that tach install.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Wow, a after market tach? Please just fix the stock one, and ummmmm not trying to be a dick but my audi does the same thing and i can "downshift" perfectly fine. Once again please fix the problem and dont get a aftermarket tach! This is the audiforums not hondatech.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

why do some of you guys act as if the car belongs to you?,just because he is registered on audiforums.com,doesn't mean he has to conform to what you think his A4 B5 should look like.

I've gotten the same thing from a member on this site,simply because i have Angel eyes lights on my B5.

The way i see it,everyone has their own individual style,likes and dislikes on what goes on their B5.

There is one B5 owner that has a chalk board hood on his B5,nobody said anything to him,i personally don't care for it but that doesn't give me the right to post about the fact i don't like it and why it should'nt be done to a B5,its none of my bussiness what he does to his car,just like its none of yours,what the OP does with his car.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear

If you post pics of your car on the boards expect feed back, good or bad. If you don't want to hear the bad then don't post pics. Pretty simple.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by McGovs2.7TB5
If you post pics of your car on the boards expect feed back, good or bad. If you don't want to hear the bad then don't post pics. Pretty simple.
Agreed

Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM
1st Gear
Default anyone know where to get tach signal

quote from s2_Audi "Wow, a after market tach? Please just fix the stock one, and ummmmm not trying to be a dick but my audi does the same thing and i can "downshift" perfectly fine. Once again please fix the problem and dont get a aftermarket tach! This is the audiforums not hondatech. "

The car is my room mates. I don't drive it all that often, so I am not used to it. He does what he wants to it. Just trying to help out.

Quote from hiwords "you need to find out the root cause. it could be a sensor"

How can I go about doing that? Do I have to use a VAGCOM? What would make the stock one only work sometimes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Old 03-25-2011, 04:21 PM
4th Gear

I would start off seeing if your tach wire is getting a good signal. On your car it should be a green wire on the cluster plug nearest the door.

NOt sure what everyone has against aftermarket tach's, it isn't like all of them are 5" and have to be mounted to the top of the dash board. lol

Here is the one I have in my car, its actually needed seeing that my engine makes so much power it can out rev the stock tach.

Quick Reply: Installing aftermarket tach