B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Im pretty sure its a clutch, but.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

Yes a misfire can cause jerks and your car to studder violently.....
a misfire usually means that either one or more of your spark pluggs are shot or one or more of your coils are shot.....

Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

well, I have already switched the coils around, but still get the multiple misfire code, the other 2 codes i'm not sure which ones they are, especially the last one. the second one i believe its misfire for cylinder 3 or 4 or whatever number it says after the p0300 code.

If i drop the clutch at 1000rpm-1300rpm, thats when I get the jerking and the vibrations. But if i drop it at 2k-2.4k rpm and land it smoothly, i dont get the stuttering or the harsh vibrations. its just freaking wierd.......and frustrating.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 PM
4th Gear

check your dipstick... one dude said it sounds like u could have too much oil... its free and easy to check lol.. why not see if ur way past the max fill level

Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

Yeah already checked that and removed the excess oil, and now its at the level that it should be. Is it normal for a clutch, even though it may be obvious that is is slipping, for it to work normal when cold? as if it weren't on the end of lits life??

Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear

The oil could have fouled the plugs. Id pull them and check them, try moving the plugs around and see if the miss follows. If you cant find a code for a specific cylinder, go to measuring blocks and look for the cylinder misfire counts. 17658 is fuel level too low, i wouldnt worry about it for now. It really sounds like ignition right now before I would even go near the clutch.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

I have chacked all of the plugs today and all are in pretty perfect condition actually. THere are no sight oil at all. They actually look pretty new. Very slight black dust on them. Tips a still perfect. Looks like the owner before me changed them recently. But the retard put AC-Delco's!!!??? well, i guess ac delco's are good for corvettes, then it will have to do for my audi

Old 02-17-2010, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

Here's what you gotta do to rule out plugs and coil packs: I understand youve "checked" the coil packs, but you have to clear the codes to get the correct code for the new misfire. You said you just kept getting the random misfire code, you have to ignore that, and look only at individual codes. If you havent done this process, I would recommend it:

1.)Erase your codes. Drive the car.
2.)Check your codes, ignore the random/multiple code, look only at individual codes.
3.) Record which cylinder is misfiring. Reverse the coil pack from the one that is missing with another one. Clear the codes. Drive the car. Check the codes to see if it moves. If it does, its a bad coil pack. If it doesnt continue to step 4.
4.) Clear the codes, drive the car, check the codes again. Whichever has the misfire code, swap it with a spark plug from a different cylinder. Clear the codes, drive the car, check the codes again. See if it moved.

If it still doesnt then at least we have for sure ruled out the packs and the plugs. So far, I cant really say that youve ruled either the plugs or the packs out from the way you seem to be going about it.

If you dont know what code is what, just look it up on here or google.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

Would anyone know what the design reasoning is behind the "dual-mass" flywheel is? could that be a problem? Could the 2 masses separate or slip and cause this vibration im describing in high load? Excuse me if its a stupid question, just not thoroughly acquainted with the "dual-mass" theory.

And just to clear what it is I'm feeling, the whole car is juttering/vibrating. I already did the above test, and that is what is felt. The motor does not continue to rev high. The whole car like vibrates, stutters as if the gear im in has missing teeth or my diffirential or drive shaft is loose or has a bad connection. Except i know its not either or, becuase no matter what gear im in, the same thing happens...1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th, and 5th. I'm not leaking oil anywhere Oil is at appropriate level now. I did a close visual inspection of my slave cylinder and no leaks or looseness there either