B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Im pretty sure its a clutch, but.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 AM
1st Gear
Question Im pretty sure its a clutch, but.......

I have a b5 avant 1.8t manual. I got it with 147k and now she has 152k. I recently did an oil change with mobile1 synthetic and fram oil filter. When i got the car the clutch engaged fine and drove with no issue. Now, as I drop the clutch to start moving, the car stutters, shakes, vibrates a little violently, but if I play with the clutch( slightly press it and let go, press it etc, etc..........All this happen literally from one day to the other. Also, when this shaking or vibrations occur, i get a flashing CEL, and when I check with my vag-com, it tells me cylinder 1 misfire. But my car is as smooth as a baby's *** at idle. There is absolutly no issues whatsover with this car. I erase the cel and it stays off, until the rattling..... I need some input of the audi experts here??

Also, do you guys think this is a good deal?:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

Last edited by kevace1; 02-10-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: couple of misspellings :)
Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear

vacuum leak or something... fix misfire before touching clutch

Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Im not sure if this is relevant, but i'll mention it: After changing my oil, i do notice if i leave my car at idle for a while, i get some very light blue smoke and the smell of burnt oil. Could this be at all related? I mean my oil was pretty dirty before I changed it, pretty sludgy if you ask me, more than usual.

But its like I said, no matter how much i drive, if I dedicate attention to the clutch so it doesn't jerk or vibrate, no cel comes on, AT ALL NADA!!! the second im off and i let it vibrate a bit too much...the goes the light flashing....

Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
1st Gear
Question

im having the same sort of problem with my 1999 audi a4 1.8t quattro.. cept mine is a tiptronic one. is it when you tun it on its fine then when its on either R or D it stats shaking like crazy with the RPM going up and down but when on P or N its perfectly normal?? and once we get on the road when you want to accelerate it wont it will just shaking more if you step on the gas pedal to hard and the check engine will start blinking as well??

Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

Check your spark pluggs and if they are good switch coils 1 and 2 around and see if the problem still exists...flashing cel is almost always a misfire issue

Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear

You might have overfilled the oil. I think that can lead to a smoky exhaust. Burning oil would foul the plugs quickly and might give you ignition issues. With what you describe it doesnt sound like the clutches fault, not yet anyway. Babying the clutch would put less load on the engine, which usually makes it less likely to misfire. Engine misfires occur more frequently with more engine load.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dallas09
You might have overfilled the oil. I think that can lead to a smoky exhaust. Burning oil would foul the plugs quickly and might give you ignition issues. With what you describe it doesnt sound like the clutches fault, not yet anyway. Babying the clutch would put less load on the engine, which usually makes it less likely to misfire. Engine misfires occur more frequently with more engine load.
I think this answers a few questions. My car only jerks or stutters when i dont pay enough attention to the clutch and the full load of the car is upon the engine. But it still doesn't answer or assure me if my clutch is at the end of its line. I obviously dont wanna go through the whole process of changing the clutch if its really not the issue........cash is not growing froma tree you know.....pretty frustrating really.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't look at the clutch unless its slipping or something....
Like I said above...easiest cheapest way to check for your problems is spark pluggs..check em out and go from there....

Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah you should fix those other issues first. Overfilling oil can be pretty serious if you really overfilled it alot. To test the clutch once youve got that stuff fixed you can do the 5th gear test. Either shift to 5th gear at a low speed and give the engine lots of gas. Or try it at a stand still w/ the bumper up against a non moving barrier. Give the engine gas and it should kill, if it doesn't then the clutch is bad.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 906 018 P
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0006
Software Coding: 07201
Work Shop Code: WSC 06325
3 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16688 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0304 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
17658 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1250 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate

So this is what i get after driving for a while. I guess the same issue. I get every bodies attachment to changing th coils since I keep getting these dtc's. But my thing is this...will a missfire cause the jerking and the violent shaken?? I mean it really feels like something in the drivetrain. THis is why i feel its the clutch. Please have patience with me here as i'm just making sure what is is I need so I don't buy stuff I don't.

Besides, my car was running fine as I said before with no issues at all for nothing. Now all of a sudden, multiple misfires? Its just hard to swallow 2-3 coil packs to go at the same time....right?[confused]

Quick Reply: Im pretty sure its a clutch, but.......