B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I'm about to buy my first Audi

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

I am guessing that the 99.5 "facelift" is refering to the front grill? Is the "facelift" more desirable amoung the forum?

I found another:

2001 1.8 with 135k
$6000 (my max price)
It's a little farther than I would like to travel but it will give me a chance to get to know her.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I am assuming that the timing belt and water pump were not done. Being a 2001 with 135k miles, how long would you guys suggest before addressing the TB and WP?

Again, I thank everyone here for their opinion. I feel like the verizon comercials....having you guys backing me up....haha

Last edited by platanos; 09-27-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

If the car has that mileage and t belt hasn't been done, I'd wait about 15 minutes at most before I'd address it.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

At 135k, it was probably done. The previous owner has been VERY lucky if not. It should have been done twice. Don't even buy it without service records that show that stuff having been done recently. Also ask about the control arms - if those haven't been done, they need to be as well. And bam, there's a total of $2000 of work it will need if none of that's been done. And it will probably need engine and transmission mounts. There are two ways to buy these cars:

-Have it proven that the work was done, and then you can give them book value tops. But most cars sell for below book value so try not to pay more than, say, 10-20% under book value.
-Assume the work hasn't been done and take the price of it off of what you're willing to pay for the car. This is what I did when I scored mine (in need of work) for $2900. And work it needs. But I knew what I was getting into and I can do all of it myself.

Also, when buying cars, you need to learn to haggle. It can be hard with a dealer, but still do it anyway. The dealer needs to throw in at least a 90 day warranty for free or you don't buy it. But the point is, don't pay $6k for it, period.

Last edited by dragonrage; 09-27-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM
4th Gear

There is a lot of different things on the facelift, such as one piece headlights and a redesigned center display and such. All these things are also in the models after 99.5.

I love that color combo in that ad you posted, that black on black looks real nice...

Good luck finding the right one...