B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I'm about to buy my first Audi

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear

I bought mine for 3950. Mint interior aside from drivers seat, normal paint chips etc. It had 153+ miles. Runs like a champ! Ha, sounds like you have a pretty good deal going on if everything runs well. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

I'd jump right on that if the timing belts been done. If not theres a great kit Here That i was about to buy.

I bought mine for 2600 with some issues (brakes, rotors, and possible timing belt) And still havent passed my budget.

If you liked bmw's im sure youll like audi!

Old 09-26-2009, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

I just came back from the dealership. I went with cash in hand, ready to come home in my first A4. The damn car was sold this morning.....lol

Here was the link to it http://www.tommasanoinc.com/VehicleDetails/490440153

So my search continues. I hate car shopping....Here is another prospect. Please tell me what you think. I'm not to sure about all the mods and the swap. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

I agree, car shopping does suck. I hate when you get all psyched to get the car you really want and they sell it right from under your feet.

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Does the shifter notably rock back and forth when you step on and let off the gas?
What does this mean? Like, I know what you're referencing, mine does it, but what causes it and is it something I need to be vastly concerned about?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

The more I look at this car, the more I like it. Can anyone explain the mod list? Are they good mods? I'm a little wary about the engine swap though, its only two months old....He states the timing belt, water pump, and turbo were adressed at the time of the swap.

http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336118835&bi...aff%3Dnational

Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 PM
2nd Gear

If he can prove that the swap was done by someone qualified and that the rest of the services (tbelt WP etc) were in fact done with the swap, I'd say thats a great deal. I'd grill him with questions such as why the swap was necessary, considering most 1.8t motors last much longer than 121k miles without needing swapped or rebuilt. If it had to be swapped because of mechanical failure, fine, but chances are he either drove it hard, or neglected maintenance on the original engine. In either case, that'd be something to be wary about, as he potentially beat the hell out of the car and it'll be needing a lot of other new stuff regarding suspension and transmission/drivetrain.

Edit: This could be a problem "HKS blow off valve." These cars are supposed to run a closed loop, using a diverter valve to recirculate the air. Perhaps I'm wrong and that with the bigger turbo, it can run a BOV without issue, or perhaps he mislabeled it and it is a DV but either way, that could cause problems. I think (not having a turbo'd car, I'm not as proficient as others with the knowledge of this system so I could be completely wrong about that statement)

Last edited by A4Cragman; 09-26-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by A4Cragman
I agree, car shopping does suck. I hate when you get all psyched to get the car you really want and they sell it right from under your feet.

What does this mean? Like, I know what you're referencing, mine does it, but what causes it and is it something I need to be vastly concerned about?
My shifter rocks alittle bit back and forth too, I am also curious as to what this means.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear

If it's more than a little bit, then your engine mounts and possibly transmission mounts are shot. A little bit is normal with stock mounts, though IMO still unacceptable. The mounts are so soft from the factory (for comfort) that they allow way too much slop in the drivetrain. But over time, they wear out and mine allows a TON of movement, like over an inch of rocking just from hitting the gas. If yours does that, replace all 3 engine mounts and possibly transmission mounts. High mileage Quattro cars should also have the rear diff mounts inspected.

Last edited by dragonrage; 09-26-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 PM
2nd Gear

Ah. Well I'm not that bad off yet, it rocks forward about 3 millimeters when I gas it so I think I'm good for now. Thanks for the clarification, that's something I always wondered about, glad to know now

Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

IMO id hold out dont rush into anything unless you really like the car