B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ideas to solve pinch bolt problem once and for all

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 PM
5th Gear

my experience is using tons of anti seize on the bolt and CA balljoint then smearing high viscosity grease (bearing grease works) over any open area on the pinchbolt. i did that and had no problem for 8 months. i had to remove the pinch bolt after the 8 month marker so i can't say how long it is good for. however i had absolutely no problem getting it out at 8 months

Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Legal Moderator

Although it hasn't been long I would like to report my stainless pinch bolt came right out when I installed my coilovers. If anyone has problems with the pinch bolt id recommend getting stainless

Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Nice! That's good news. What were the specs on the bolt you used? Where'd ya get it?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Legal Moderator

I went all over, like home depot, and no one had one. I was gonna try fastenal but they weren't open on Sundays. So I tried the local hardware store, a hardware hank, and they had the exact bolt, only the threads were different. Other than that it was the exact same
only thing is they cost 15$ for two bolts and two nuts, but it will be worth it if it comes out easy. I should say I also took the extra precaution of using antiseize.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Legal Moderator

happy to report my stainless pinch bolts popped right out even after being in for almost a year. i had to put brake pads in (went with red stuff), so i tried taking the pinch bolts out. the drivers side i moved it with a couple light taps of a hammer, and the passanger side i had to remove completely to so i could change a wheel bearing. again, came right out. for future reference, the pinch bolt is size m10x100. i cant remember the pitch, whether it is 1 or 1.25, but i do know that i used one greater pitch, meaning either 1.25 or 1.5. either way, stainless did the trick. i recommened this to anyone living in the northern half of the country. I will let you know that some people will worry about the hardness of stainless compared to stock bolt. normally when i take out stock pinch bolts, they are all rusty corroded and are usually bent. the stainless came out rather clean and straight. i did put antiseize on them first but i didnt this time to see if it makes a difference. will update this thread again next time i remove them

Old 07-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Legal Moderator

another update- the stainless pinch bolts seem to be a great alternative to the stock ones. a few months ago i installed new control arms. i got new pinch bolts in the kit and they are currently sitting on top of my beer fridge. the stainless bolts are here to stay.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear man, that's awesome! If they work in Minnesnowta they should work anyplace!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
another update- the stainless pinch bolts seem to be a great alternative to the stock ones. a few months ago i installed new control arms. i got new pinch bolts in the kit and they are currently sitting on top of my beer fridge. the stainless bolts are here to stay.
You are the ****** man. Kudos for continuing to follow up and help the rest of the herd along. SOMEONE PUT THIS MAN IN FOR A MEDAL!

But seriously. The cost of the two bolts is totally worth it considering the cost of drill bits and broken breaker bars, phones, hands, and relationships.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear

I've owned and worked on B5's for 12 years now. Early on, I had a few major pinch bolt fights too. Now I used anti-seize on the pinch bolt, the alignment bolt in the rear trailing arm, and the eccentric bolt at the bottom of the rear suspension. I too live in MN where there's salt on the roads 5 months/year, and I never have a problem. I'm sure stainless is an answer too, but every time I take off one of those bolts, I anti-seize the bastards.

It works.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

I was going to say stainless, but someone beat me to it lol. I had to replace both knuckles on mine after not being able to get that stupid bolt out. When I rebuilt the front end I used stainless bolts every where purchased at ACE hardware. Seems to work great, thou its only been about 7 months, I have taken I apart a few times without issues. Good luck!

Quick Reply: ideas to solve pinch bolt problem once and for all