B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I'd like not to need a new motor, please and thank you.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Just an idea, but have you checked your throttle body? Usually it will throw codes if it's not aligned correctly, but sometimes if the battery dies the throttle body can lose it's place. The throttle body is in charge of air flow, so if it's not letting any air in the chambers, that could cause it to not start.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by soulstep
Unfortunately, I'm no expert. I can do some things, but this is beyond me if there aren't any codes. Do you know what tool he used to scan? Sometimes shops just use an OBD-II tool, which won't necessarily find all the codes. Hopefully he uses a scanner like VAG-com. Hope someone else more knowledgeable comes along!

Thank you so much for commenting on this thread! I really really appreciate it!! He DOES use an OBD-II tool. But if you think about it, since it's a compression issue, do you really think there's a code that there's a code to just tell you what needs replaced to fix a compression issue? I feel like that's a problem that the sensors can't really pick up on... but what do I know x_x

Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
So he replaced the plugs and it started right up?
He replaced the plugs and it would not start. It was doing the same exact thing as it was before he had replaced the plugs: engine would crank, you could hear it, but it would not fire. The car would not start.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jenn_wenn
Thank you so much for commenting on this thread! I really really appreciate it!! He DOES use an OBD-II tool. But if you think about it, since it's a compression issue, do you really think there's a code that there's a code to just tell you what needs replaced to fix a compression issue? I feel like that's a problem that the sensors can't really pick up on... but what do I know x_x
Jenn, see if this sounds right. The car was running. You left the dome light on and drained the battery. The transmission felt like it was slipping. The car wouldn't start. Those are the symptoms? Right? Somehow your mechanic thinks the cause of this is a stretched timing belt and loose tensioner and spark plugs? I repeat, find a new mechanic.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Just an idea, but have you checked your throttle body? Usually it will throw codes if it's not aligned correctly, but sometimes if the battery dies the throttle body can lose it's place. The throttle body is in charge of air flow, so if it's not letting any air in the chambers, that could cause it to not start.
I will TOTALLY relay the idea to him and let you know what he says. I am so anxious about this entire situation. I love my car to death!!!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Jenn, see if this sounds right. The car was running. You left the dome light on and drained the battery. The transmission felt like it was slipping. The car wouldn't start. Those are the symptoms? Right? Somehow your mechanic thinks the cause of this is a stretched timing belt and loose tensioner and spark plugs? I repeat, find a new mechanic.

): I'll definitely consider the idea... do you have any idea what it could be?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jenn_wenn
): I'll definitely consider the idea... do you have any idea what it could be?
soulstep is on the right track. BUT, the mechanic must VAG-COM it to know for sure. the car's computer will tell him OBD-II may/probably will not. If he can't VAG-COM it then seriously you need to find a mechanic who can. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

soulstep is on the right track. BUT, the mechanic must VAG-COM it to know for sure. the car's computer will tell him OBD-II may/probably will not. If he can't VAG-COM it then seriously you need to find a mechanic who can. Good luck.
I believe you need VAG-COM to correctly do a throttle body alignment anyway. If you don't know anyone with a VAG-COM, try reading through this article and see if any of the posters have one near you. https://www.audiforums.com/forum/vag...ag-com-140752/

Old 02-14-2014, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

I believe you need VAG-COM to correctly do a throttle body alignment anyway. If you don't know anyone with a VAG-COM, try reading through this article and see if any of the posters have one near you. https://www.audiforums.com/forum/vag...ag-com-140752/

Oh thank you!!! I appreciate your suggestions!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

Haha thanks so much!!

Quick Reply: I'd like not to need a new motor, please and thank you.