B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I'd like not to need a new motor, please and thank you.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:20 AM
1st Gear
Default I'd like not to need a new motor, please and thank you.

Once I graduate from college, I've made it a point to know how cars work in and out- ESPECIALLY my Audi. I hate feeling so helpless, because I have no idea what the problem could be!!

Have you ever had a day that you could only contribute to some kind of bad luck? Well, when I had my battery die, that was the day that bad luck decided to pick on me. I walk out to my car one morning and when I try to start my car, absolutely nothing happens. No lights, no sounds: nada. I immediately think it's my battery. So I had someone jump it, and immediately the DOME light came on. I had never ever touched it the day before, but there it is: with the switch in the ON position. Grr! I feel so dumb... and angry because I had never ever touched it!!!

So I drove it around for an hour... and for the first time, I felt something weird. It happened intermittently. I would say that it was my transmission slipping... So, after having stopped at a red light, while I was driving my car around for that hour, I would press the gas pedal and my RPMs would shoot way up when I'm barely going 20mph. It'd worry me, so I'd immediately let go of the gas pedal. Then I would feel and hear something almost.. falling? Clunking? And then my car would run real well after that would happen.

I let my car sit for the next day. It was a REALLY cold night (I hate northeastern Ohio.) The following day, my engine would crank but it wouldn't fire!!! GRR! I tried to start it many times, each time lasting no longer than 10 seconds. I definitely had gas; you could smell it. So it wasn't like it was frozen. I had my mechanic come out and try replacing the spark plugs (at least, I think that's what he did.) But that didn't work, either...

My car was towed, and so far, the timing belt had been replaced. Right now, there is not even 70 psi in any of the cylinders. I understand compression must be at least 120psi to start combustion.

So my mechanic is telling me... maybe one of the pistons/cylinders might be bent to throw off the timing, or maybe the gas that was used when I tried starting the engine but it would only crank repeatedly is the culprit, or... I NEED A NEW MOTOR. I kind of don't understand the idea of the gas being the culprit, though... I know that gas is sprayed into the cylinders with a mixture of air (right?) so if there is too much gas in the cylinders... maybe that would cause the low compression? Does that make sense?

I really really want to think I don't need a new motor. I would think that if that were the case, I would have been noticing issues for a while now. But before I let my battery die, my car was running GREAT. And since I let my battery die, I didn't see any MILs at all.

I would be so grateful if somebody could give me an idea of what it might be. Even if it's the worst case scenario that is the most probable- I'm prepared, but I hate just sitting here thinking and wondering and not even being sure I know anything about this stuff because I think that I really don't. ):

Thanks for caring!

EDIT: This would probably help... I've got a 99 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 4dr sedan AWD.

Last edited by jenn_wenn; 02-14-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Is your CEL on? These cars are extremely complicated, but are equipped with lots of sensors. Usually if something is wrong, you will find codes. If you don't have a VAG-com, try finding someone who does (likely there is someone in your area that can scan for you).

I would scan your car before you go spending $$ on parts and labour for things you might not need. I'd also find a new mechanic if yours won't even scan it before replacing stuff.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

Find a new mechanic who knows what he is doing. You did not need a new motor but you may need some head work now. This guy really did a timing belt job? His first thought was to replace plugs on a car that was running? Sounds like the problem was transmission not engine. soulstep is right, the "mechanic" should have scanned it first before deciding it needed plugs and a timing belt. Oh boy!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by soulstep
Is your CEL on? These cars are extremely complicated, but are equipped with lots of sensors. Usually if something is wrong, you will find codes. If you don't have a VAG-com, try finding someone who does (likely there is someone in your area that can scan for you).

I would scan your car before you go spending $$ on parts and labour for things you might not need. I'd also find a new mechanic if yours won't even scan it before replacing stuff.
Hey!

So, my mechanic is really experienced with Audi's... I just spoke to him; I didn't really ask about any "codes" he might have found. I probably really should have, huh? He gave me the impression that there really aren't any codes... Which would kind of explain why he's picking on too much fuel being the culprit, or a bent piston, because the sensors wouldn't pick up on that... would they?

Luckily my mechanic is my friend, and he only charges me for parts (score!) so I'm not really hurting... until it turns out I need the motor replaced. But no, my CEL is not on either! D:

Thank you for your reply!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Find a new mechanic who knows what he is doing. You did not need a new motor but you may need some head work now. This guy really did a timing belt job? His first thought was to replace plugs on a car that was running? Sounds like the problem was transmission not engine. soulstep is right, the "mechanic" should have scanned it first before deciding it needed plugs and a timing belt. Oh boy!
I guess maybe my first post was a little confusing, I'm sorry ): He replaced the plugs because my car wasn't running. The engine would crank but it would never fire. I couldn't get my car to actually start at all. He replaced the plugs before scanning anything, I would think he replaced the timing belt after he had scanned it...

Or maybe I'm not thinking right...

Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Update:

I just spoke to my mechanic, he hasn't found any codes at all...

Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Unfortunately, I'm no expert. I can do some things, but this is beyond me if there aren't any codes. Do you know what tool he used to scan? Sometimes shops just use an OBD-II tool, which won't necessarily find all the codes. Hopefully he uses a scanner like VAG-com. Hope someone else more knowledgeable comes along!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jenn_wenn
I just spoke to my mechanic, he hasn't found any codes at all...
Why did he change the plugs? Why did he do a timing belt job?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Why did he change the plugs? Why did he do a timing belt job?
The way he explained it to me, is: to start the engine, it needs fuel, air and spark. He knows I have fuel because he can smell it, and he couldn't test the compression because he wanted to save me money on getting it towed at the time, so he figured maybe there isn't spark to start combustion to actually start the engine.

So once he got it towed... he said that the timing belt was stretched and the tensioner was bad, ans 80% of the time replacing the timing belt resolves the issue. I suppose the other 20% i

Just my luck that I get an issue like this. All from letting my car battery die. So not happy with myself right now...

Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jenn_wenn
The way he explained it to me, is: to start the engine, it needs fuel, air and spark. He knows I have fuel because he can smell it, and he couldn't test the compression because he wanted to save me money on getting it towed at the time, so he figured maybe there isn't spark to start combustion to actually start the engine.

So once he got it towed... he said that the timing belt was stretched and the tensioner was bad, ans 80% of the time replacing the timing belt resolves the issue. I suppose the other 20% i

Just my luck that I get an issue like this. All from letting my car battery die. So not happy with myself right now...
So he replaced the plugs and it started right up?

Quick Reply: I'd like not to need a new motor, please and thank you.