B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...
View Poll Results: What should I do?
A
11.11%
B
88.89%
C
0%
Quit Autocross
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

I want your 2 cents (married guys)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I agree with doing what makes the wife happy. It has to be a real PITA for her to get the baby in and out of her 2 door. Upgrade the wife's car first, something a bit bigger and more comfortable for the two of them/three of you when they allow you to go out in public with them.

some good advice from jdahlen24. a happy wife is more likely to allow you some leeway with you hobbies down the road.

finally, I know that things with your "job" might be a little dicey right now, tax revenues being down and all and public officials looking to cut services, but angle for a take home car

Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Oh man i have the same dilema... B seens the best

Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

LOL I wish! This is my ideal world but I only have 7 weeks till Autox starts.
1: Buy wife a 4 door -$2000
2: Sell wifes old 2 door to mother +$750 (-1250)
3: Sell station wagon mother is borrowing +$900 (-350)
4: Buy autox car +-?!?

But that's saying my mom has $750 chilling around, also that someone will buy this heap of a wagon, 97 ford taurus wagon 189k miles no heat and leaks antifreeze! AND still have time and $$$ to find and buy an autox car and have it ready to race by the 1st Sunday in April!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DoctorMemory
If you're serious about AX, then I'd vote C. The most successful AXers I've seen either have insanely expensive 911s or M3s or they drive gutted and stripped GTIs or Neons. I'm not convinced you'd be able to get an A4 to compete at the extremes on either level (assuming you're shooting for FTD, not just a class win).

OTOH, if you just really enjoy AX, then go for B. I spent a week hauling my daughter around in a 2-door and it really does suck. And while I haven't AX'd my A4, I imagine it'd be fairly competitive (and a blast to throw around). Besides, once the wife's happy, there's no reason you can't try a little "horse trading" on CL or the like and swap her Honda for something that might eventually make a better AX platform. Then you can use the A4 as your DD again and gradually build up that old miata/rx-7/civic/mr-2... (what kind of Honda did you say your wife drives?)
umm u forgot about the miata dude lol... here at buttonwillow raceway the people here LOOOVE the miata...

Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM
4th Gear

i know ur hell bent on AX... but going with the wife and baby theme like everyone else... why not sell all your cars and get into a b7... or a nice b6... few thousand down, depending on credit u could have low payments, your wife would be happy with a new safe car, baby would be alot safer than a salvage civic or a ford lol...

just my opinion... i know u wanna do the track and will prolly disregard my comment... but i figure i would throw a mature statement for once on the forums haha...

Old 02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I hear ya phil but we each need a car. and I dont want to autox my dd. I don't want a payment so a newer car is out of the question. The miata is what I was looking at. I think I made her a deal just now while "talking" I'm going to find and buy my autox car NOW. Use it as a dd and she can drive my b5 until income taxes come back. In the mean time I attempt to sell the ford and then the honda to my mom. Then with that $$ and income go look a car for her... Sound good?!?!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

I think you do but that's my opinion. I had a little 2 seater turbo Nissan (that I had for 10 years and over 15k invested) and as soon as my daughter was born I got rid of it for a 4 door vehicle which ultimately brought me to the Audi. My wife didn't have to ask or complain to me I just knew that I wouldn't be able to SAFELY drive my daughter around in a car that small w/no airbags. That was my situation obviously yours is different as your wife seems a bit difficult but again she has right to complain when you get to auto x in your car and she and the kid are being stuffed into and old EG Civic with no safety features aside from maybe an airbag for the driver. That's why I look at your situation and it would be a no-brainer for me. Whatever you do good luck.

We also have more than one car.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear

Buy her a car, and buy yourself an auto x vehicle. That's my 4,937.51 dollars.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

If I had it my way. I would split cost in getting a Q5 if both parties are earning. I'll ride out my B5 as long as I can, until i can get an A5/S5 or something else that comes along, in exchange for autoxing. I'm not legally married, but pretty much am. It would be nice for the child to have a little more leg room in the back when they grow up, and the Q5 will do just that.

Sometimes when you're a parent/married, a few sacrifices must be made. Maybe you may have to sacrifice autox'ing for now.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Dude this is your best option i guess ,keep the audi sell her junk and the other car and buy her a safe 4door car a volvo and they are not expensive and they are safe .

Quick Reply: I want your 2 cents (married guys)