B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...
View Poll Results: What should I do?
A
11.11%
B
88.89%
C
0%
Quit Autocross
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

I want your 2 cents (married guys)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default I want your 2 cents (married guys)

Ok so here's the deal. I've decided I don't want to Autocross my DD anymore. But getting my wife to allow me to buy yet another car is hard, DAMN HARD. I also want to do it cheap!

Ok so here's my options.

A: I buy another car just for autox. I keep my b5 for DD ($2000ish) wife unhappy that she still wants a new car and I just bought a 2nd one.

B: I buy my wife a 4 door car (she has a 2 door (honda) and hates it with the baby) I take her 2 door for DD and then the b5 is the autox car. ($2000 for wifes car + $2000 getting b5 ready)

C: I sell the b5, buy a 4 door for the wife, myself an autox car and I DD her old 2 door. (cut even or maybe ahead)

I want everyone's opinion but married guys know a little more where I'm coming from when it comes to cars.
And I know most of you don't like B/C but I will only drive her 2 door till I save enough to get an avant.

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 02-14-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

B is the most logical

Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Rule #1: Keep the wife happy and the baby safe.

The A4 is a safe vehicle, so have you thought about giving her your B5 to transport your child in? Four doors, safe and looks good.

You can then buy yourself another DD and an Autocross vehicle.

I wouldn't quit autocross if that's what makes you happy. If she truly loves you, she will support your hobby as long as you're not endangering your financial health or your life in doing so.

Just some wisdom from a failed 13 year marriage. Am now on my second and last wife, and am applying many learned lessons from the failed one.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM
4th Gear

Give her the b5 take her car and sell it, pick up a cheap dd and use the extra money to buy a better starting platform for your auto x

Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Actual WIZARD

Can your wife even manage a 5 speed?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Her car is a salvage title with over 225k miles I wouldn't get much for it. I rather keep the b5 with me or sell it. It has a stage 4 clutch and some other stuff she can't deal with. And she won't take the audi cuz she doesn't like them, she has it in her head that they break a lot and cost money, no idea where she got that idea lol! I offered to buy her an avant awhile back so I could have her car and autocross the b5 but she wanted nothing to do with it. I like option B but it will cost a lot more than A or C and with 150k on the b5 I'm going to need to do a lot of maintenance.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Slut

Sell the audi, buy something else... and get off this forum
awesome thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

Your priorities are all messed up. Do what's best for your child (if not your wife who BTW sounds difficult).

Old 02-14-2011, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

If you're serious about AX, then I'd vote C. The most successful AXers I've seen either have insanely expensive 911s or M3s or they drive gutted and stripped GTIs or Neons. I'm not convinced you'd be able to get an A4 to compete at the extremes on either level (assuming you're shooting for FTD, not just a class win).

OTOH, if you just really enjoy AX, then go for B. I spent a week hauling my daughter around in a 2-door and it really does suck. And while I haven't AX'd my A4, I imagine it'd be fairly competitive (and a blast to throw around). Besides, once the wife's happy, there's no reason you can't try a little "horse trading" on CL or the like and swap her Honda for something that might eventually make a better AX platform. Then you can use the A4 as your DD again and gradually build up that old miata/rx-7/civic/mr-2... (what kind of Honda did you say your wife drives?)

Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

It's a 95 civic. great running car. She wants a newer 4 door honda. I also have a station wagon I can sell right now for extra cash. I ideally would like to DD the b5 autox a CQ buy the wife a new car... But there is no way I can afford 2 cars right now without selling the b5... I'm pretty serious when it comes to autox how our standings work is I run a pro-class but how our points work is not head to head times. We still use PAX to do our standings.
@papa my priorities aren't messed up. I do whats best for my child always. Just not my wife. We have separate $$$ so I feel if she wants a new car she should buy it, if i want another car I should buy it. Really I just don't want to hear her complain so that's why I consider buying her one.

Quick Reply: I want your 2 cents (married guys)