B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I want an alarm siren instead of a horn !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
1st Gear
Default I want an alarm siren instead of a horn !!

I want to install a siren instead of a horn like the newer vw/audi. I dont mind having a jobber one or something, but i don't really know what to look for on ebay..

thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

like would this work if i switch the alarm horn with this (or similar):

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOVOX-AS-9903...#ht_1766wt_939

Old 04-05-2010, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah anything that only needs 12v for it to work would work, just make sure it doesnt need any signal wires (meaning 2 wires only, pretty much, the one I got has two wires and then some that curve back into the unit and you can cut them to delete the tones). You can easily wire it up to the horn wires in the back driver side of the car. The problem is when the factory alarm goes off, it pulses 12v to the horn, so whatever siren you get will do the same. Meaning, that 6 tone siren you posted wont even come close to the 6th tone, let alone the end of the 1st tone before it shuts off and turns back on again. Mine sounds fairly lame when the alarm goes off, but I still think it sounds better than stock, and I like the lock tone better than stock.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 AM

anyone know if there is a way to keep the stock lock tone but add an after market alarm tone that is louder and have both? stock for lock tone and aftermarket for when the alarm goes off

Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Yea it's pretty easy, I installed a siren on mine a few days ago. the horn is just + and - 12v. So just wire your siren to the + and - and both should work at the same time.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by D.B.A.
anyone know if there is a way to keep the stock lock tone but add an after market alarm tone that is louder and have both? stock for lock tone and aftermarket for when the alarm goes off
You wouldnt be able to do that with the factory wiring that is already for the horn there. You would probably have to go aftermarket, or if you knew an electrical engineer haha you could probably rig something up that would do that, but it would be pretty complicated.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:12 PM

yea i had a slight feeling that having stock for lock and aftermarket for alarm would require some serious custom work... Just thought id ask maybe someone knew an easy shortcut...

oh well... eventually ill get an aftermarket alarm w/ remote start

Old 05-02-2010, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

Its a very simple upgrade! You just need a 12v siren (any after market alarm kit has one) and you connect it to the horn wires. You leave the horn wires connected if you want both (horn + siren) or disconnect them from the horn if you want siren only. The alarm horn is located in the trunk on the driver side behind the side carpet/panel. I can't guarantee that it's the same for post facelift B5's, but i'm sure for the 1996 to 1999 models !

Old 05-02-2010, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear

If you disconnect the wires, how does the siren sound at all? The problem with hooking up to the stock alarm horn is that when the alarm goes off, it PULSES electricity to it, so you never get a connected siren sound.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear

This is a stupid idea. It's only going to confuse and annoy people! Also, is it even legal? I doubt it is.

Quick Reply: I want an alarm siren instead of a horn !!