B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I think Audi forgot something at the factory

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default I think Audi forgot something at the factory

Hey guys, i have a really weird problem with my tail lights. Check this out. My friend noticed the other day that i had a tail light out, so im like crap ok let me just go to autozone and get a quick replacment. After popin the trunk and getting to the tail light I was confused. Theres 4 bulbs right? Signal, Back up, constant tail light and brakeing light. The passenger side light that was out never had a bulb in it...as a matter of fact when i pulled out the hulster for the bulbs i noticed that the socket that belonged to the missing tail was actually blocked off by a peice of white plastic. I could tell it was OEM too. It was like...when the tail light was made...they never drilled out a hole for the bulb.

Either....
A. The factory never finished poping out a hole for the bullb and in turn, never put a bulb in.
B. Some one replaced the tail light with the wrong part and once they had an extra bulb left over they just put the tail light housing in any way.
C. There was some kind of eletrical problem where they were fry'in bulbs and some one just caped it off.

This has me really really confused and idk but its a miricle that i havent been pulled over for it....weird now that i think of it...ive been pulled over like 3 times at night with this car...and the cop just diddent look???? What the **** is goin on.

Last edited by anmagro; 08-11-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM
3rd Gear

That's b/c there is only a rear fog light on one side.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Site Moderator

I'm surprised this question isn't asked more often.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear

It's usually a first for most new owners of European cars.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

wait what?? so you meen that when i have my fogs on it will always be like that? lol im gonna go out and try it right now.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Haha wow ur right man. why in the hell do they do that? its makin me not want to use my fogs now because of how silly it looks from the rear. dam. lol

Old 08-11-2008, 10:01 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, some dumb cops (sorry notahondaowner) may pull you over one foggy night for not having both tail lights lit up the same, and you'll want to know this.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by anmagro
Haha wow ur right man. why in the hell do they do that? its makin me not want to use my fogs now because of how silly it looks from the rear. dam. lol
I havent used my rear fog/touched that button in almost 3 years

Old 08-11-2008, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear

Hell, if it is that foggy out, and it's gonna stop some idiot from rear-ending you, then use it. I haven't had the need to use it once this year so far either.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Default not just your car

No one forgot to put a light bulb or put the wrong tail light in. I had the same question, but if you look at many german model vehicles, they all have this distinction. The bulb that you are missing is part of the rear fog light. It should only appear that you are missing a light bulb when the rear fog light is turned on. I know its retarted, but you can fix this problem by takin the tail light out and making the hole yourself, since the assembly is already there, you should only have to go out and buy a light bulb and put it in. I did that to my 01 a4, and there has been no problem, just make sure you dont damage the tail light.

Quick Reply: I think Audi forgot something at the factory