B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I smell a project...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

So smaller is better? I really haven't seen much below 2.25"

Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Pipe sizing depends on a combination of turbo size and boost level. I was running 2" on my Z. I had stock T22/T2 turbos which are pretty small, but I was running a solid 17psi so I went with 2" stock piping size. Border Racing had a 3" upgraded pipe kit but it wasn't recommended unless a turbo upgrade was done because the piping would create too much of a loss in pressure and velocity. Stick with what TeeterTawter said - he's on target in theory and it's backed up by the fact that it works well on his setup, which uses a larger turbo than you're running right now.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

So 2"?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Now while I can't excuse the fact that I hit another person, I can say this: Have you never been in an accident?
Yes. 30 years ago. Oil slick on a turn and I was going too fast. My fault. No one else involved.

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Have you never caused an accident?
No, never. Driving is a serious business. You are driving a lethal weapon. Using another excuse that 60% of kids have totaled their cars isn't really anything more than that, and deep down you know it. Of course, maybe you're just patting yourself on the back that you're not in that statistical group, in which case, I completely understand.

In addition, you should never be driving without your bumper. Not only is it illegal, but it is extremely dangerous for pedestrians, which I know in Oregon are *a lot* more rare than they are here, but being prepared for the unexpected is part of being a good driver. Part of the problem here in the NYC area is inconsiderate drivers, and their numbers are growing worse daily. Having lived in Oregon, I'd say you have the same problem. Don't be part of the problem. Bust your own chops - be critical of yourself all the time.

I'm extremely glad to hear that you consider this a very good lesson. That is as it should be. I'm actually giving you a thumbs up here because I think you're definitely on the right track. I apologize for what must surely have been seen as a harsh critique, but there is a distinct lack of that these days, judging from the numbers of morons I have to dodge because their empty heads are buried in their mobile tech, and the number of blithering idiots on the internet who know nothing more than superficial information (which they get from the internet, natch). That 60% of people that you mentioned...well, guess what? When I was your age, those numbers were considerably lower, and I don't mean a few percentage points. Probably less than 10%.

As for helpful, you are 18, and many times it takes years to figure out what is actually helpful. Trust me, this is the voice of experience speaking (experience..you know...that thing you can't get from the internet ). Happy motoring.

Last edited by Gordon Freeman Jr; 01-26-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by jiggleo
I don't know if it's drugs you're taking or drugs you need to be taking, but for god's sake do something and relax.
First off, you aren't one to be giving me advice. Thank you. Go ask your girlfriend if you can use the internet...

Many of you children are incapable of receiving criticism (kudos to Kayakman for being an exception). You are not fit to talk among real men.

Here's the deal: maybe three months back, my life was almost ended by a young punk driving one of those huge dump trucks because he was more interested in his mobile texting than he was making sure that his 18 ton projectile, traveling at 117 feet per second, didn't destroy someone's future. He came within several feet of doing that to me, and nearly destroyed another person swerving out of the exit only lane which he was too oblivious to see. The only reason these people and myself survived his stupidity is because we were paying attention.

I see this happening more every day. Being PC and nice all the time is *not* the answer. If it were, you would be superior to those who came before you, and you are not. So, I will continue to call people out for stuff like this, because your milquetoast parents and teachers have each shuffled responsibility to the other for this task, or simply left it for cable television and xBox to raise you.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear

Alright, that was a lot of unnecessary judgments about a generation. Recap: Most of today's generation texts while driving. Most have parents who don't care about them. Most have irresponsible adult role models. Jiggelo has an oppressive girlfriend. (according to Mr. Freeman) and everyone on the road who is not Mr. Gordon Freeman is an ignorant moron who endangers the life of all whom he or she meets due to his or her own incompetence.

(That last one was my own extrapolation, extreme as it may be.)
I think that now, you've made your point and you can choose one of two things: A.) Log off the computer and tell those damn kids to get off your lawn, or
B.) Shed some light on the topic at hand, which despite what you so adamantly believe, is NOT what's wrong with kids today.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

yes go with 2" pipeing for k03/k04 setups.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
2nd Gear

cool beans.

Well here's what i'm kinda looking at.
I have 2900 bucks. repairs are going to be 600 plus the cost of hood repairs/replacement. I may just skip the hood because its not all that noticeable. I found some BBS CH reps, really nice ones from Germany, for 500. New tires will run me 400 at least, so there is nearly 1k knocked out. So with the 500 left (after setting aside some $$$ for the hood) I can buy a chip and DV or headlights w/ HIDs and a new headliner. I think I'm going to save the FMIC for when I do body work later down the road. I hope to get wide on this thing with some custom work and RS4 styling. If they want to repaint the hood, I'll just leave it until I repaint the whole car because I'm considering other colors. Maybe I'll throw a snub mount in on all of this while I'm in there. Change my diff fluids and tranny fluid, and if I have the cash, do a timing belt.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

snub mounts are cheap. go stern