B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I smell a project...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 AM
2nd Gear
Cool I smell a project...

Recently got into an accident, I rear ended a van going twenty. Just looked away for a moment and thats all she needed. I didn't have the bumper on because I was looking at possibly shaving it, and I dont know whether that saved me some money, or caused more damage. The bumper would've been trashed, and thats like $1,000 with paint! So my A/C condenser, radiator, core support and hood took the impact.

Now here's the kicker: My insurance company quoted me for more than I just listed above. They quoted for things like bumper, bumper grills, hardware, new fender, new hardware, new headlights, etc etc. These were things previously damaged, and to a minor extent, (excluding the bumper which was off the car completely.) Despite the fact I repeatedly told them that this was previous damage, and had the pictures to prove it, they continued to forget. So I got tired of it and decided to just take the extra money. Well... that extra cash totaled my car. Yep, turns out the car I bought for four grand at a steal less than a year ago is now worth $3700. They quoted me for over $5000 in damage! So I looked at my options and decided it'd be best to just total the car and take the $2900 check after buy back. I plan on being its final owner, and I can fix the mechanical bits for around $600. The rest goes towards the hood and my pocket. =)

So pretty much I'm just going to tackle the mechanical work and have a body shop repair the hood. Hopefully it just needs to be popped out. If it does need paint, I was kicking around the idea of having the shop fab up some Boser extensions. The other thing I'm chewing over in my head is what kind of preventative maintenance should I do while the coolant and A/C systems are down? I'm 99% sure I will replace the A/C compressor, as the clutch in that biotch went out on the hottest day of the year last summer. What else? T-stat? I've been having this noise that sounds like I may have a heater core leak, it sounds like a vaccum line pulling in some water, or the sound your straw makes when you need a refill. It happens for a short time around start up then goes away. Friend recommended checking out the Tstat by monitoring my temp levels while driving and idling. Cant do that now! A few other ideas: Timing belt, polished manifold, buying facelift headlights and HIDs, custom 2.5" (good size for stock turbo?) exhaust to a magnaflow, new speakers, 20% tint, roof rack (need for upcoming kayaking season...)

Throw me your ideas! I just got some money in the bank and i've got an itchy trigger finger for starting a project...

Old 01-25-2010, 12:47 AM
3rd Gear

pics!!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Administrator

I think you're on the right track with what you mentioned. How about an FMIC if funding allows? Then you'll have a reason to add more power (BT upgrade in the future maybe)...

Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Recently got into an accident, I rear ended a van going twenty. Just looked away for a moment and thats all she needed.
I'm sorry, but how do you rear end someone if you are not following too close to begin with, at 20 MPH , no less? Maybe you should do all of your fellow drivers a favor and take a defensive driving course before you actually hurt someone.

You're obviously not very good at it.

As for ImTheDevil's suggestion, I would say the last thing you need is more power. You obviously cannot handle what you've already got.

The truth friggin hurts.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Gordon Freeman Jr
I'm sorry, but how do you rear end someone if you are not following too close to begin with, at 20 MPH , no less? Maybe you should do all of your fellow drivers a favor and take a defensive driving course before you actually hurt someone.

As for ImTheDevil's suggestion, I would say the last thing you need is more power. You obviously cannot handle what you've already got.

The truth friggin hurts.
I had this thing my girlfriend gave me hanging out on the dash. It fell off onto the floor. I bent down really quick to get it but had forgotten about the stop sign ahead. She stopped (maybe for longer than expected, maybe I was going more than twenty, who knows?) and before I could even lift my head I hit her.

I've taken 3 defensive driving courses thank you. This is my first accident. I'd consider myself very cautious, especially around cities, schools and traffic. There are quite a few back country roads by me I know quite well, and thats where I choose to let 'er rip.

Now while I can't excuse the fact that I hit another person, I can say this: Have you never been in an accident? Have you never caused an accident? I'm 18, give me a break. 60% of the kids at school total their cars before they're 18. I'm going to go ahead and consider this car not totaled, because if I went and explained everything I could probably get the insurance to consider it that way. So I'd say for my first accident, the fact that no one was hurt, no airbags went off, and it was a result of a lasp in diligence makes this a very good lesson for me.

Thanks again for the helpful comment. Go bust someone else's chops.

As for Devil, I was thinking about a front mount. Maybe a Godspeed since they're like $400?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Gordon Freeman Jr

The truth friggin hurts.
A little too harsh buddy. We have all had our fair share of stupid accidents. There may be more to the story than is being told, but that doesn't mean you can just throw comments like that around.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

you can get a cheaper front mount for less than 400.
heres one, http://cgi.ebay.ca/INTERCOOLER-FMIC-...item35a68df675
just get yourself some piping and couplers. I use to run a simular one until I got the evolution motorsports one with my t28 kit.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:12 PM
5th Gear

i don't think a godspeed FMIC will fit behind the A4 bumper without chopping it up. other ideas would be RS4 mirrors, coilovers, wheels, chip, vag com, RNS-D. let me think of some more

Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Administrator

...A8 brakes (I'll never stop flogging that particular horse - every B5 owner on here should have them), the eBay DIY FMIC for $150 (it'll handle your engine fine until you upgrade your turbo, at which point a real-deal FMIC would be in order), HIDs for sure, the upcoming mods in your sig, maybe a lowered suspension. There's a TON of things you can do for sure.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear

Hey thanks Teeter! That kit is slimmer than godspeed, wider and just a half inch shorter! I heard the godspeed fits without issue. With an FMIC will I need to weld a bung for the DV?

Also, whats a good place to get piping and couplers?

And RNS-D is stock nav?

Quick Reply: I smell a project...