B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I need help.... wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
1st Gear
Default I need help.... wont Start

ok My wife has a 98 A4 quattro. 2.8 A couple weeks ago my wife went to get food and started ok and when she go home the check engine light was on. The next day the engine wont start. I though the starter had gone bad so i hit it and still wont start. what its doing is I put the key in turn it to 1 and all the electornics come on, but when i move to 2 to start it, its cranking but wont turn over. any ideas sugguestion, anything would be helpful

I need to know where the fuel pump relay is, and that reley number
do i need to check anything, im so mad at this car i am about to call mythbusters and sell them the car.

does anyone know where i can get a new-used oil pan I have some cracks in it

Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

also i checking the spark plugs and found oil on the outside of the tubes! any help.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Oil on the tubes is a valve cover gasket leak. I doubt that's your no-start cause although you'll want to address that too. I'm assuming you don't vagcom to scan the car for a code. Where do you live? You should post your location in your info on the User CP - someone local may be able to do it for you.

Unfortunately there are so many things that could cause it (dead fuel pump or FPR, clogged filter, bad crank position sensor, death of any of a number of components, that the code scan would really help you narrow it down. Otherwise you could be throwing a lot of unnecessary parts and money at the car.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 AM
1st Gear

I dont have one of the computers that can tell me the codes. is there anyway to check stuff without it or do i need to get one?

My uncle who owner a repair shop wont touch it cuz of it being a german car.
it there a way to tell if one of the relays has gone bad under the fuese

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

the fuel pump usually (not always) will not just cut off like that. it will stop working when you go to start it, not while driving.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear

Why does everyone hate on the German cars because they are hard to work on? they should be proud they can handle some of the hardest repairs. The only way is to go to autozone, and seems like you cant do that. There is a relay panel breakdown in the stickies. That will lead you to the relay you need then swap for a working one.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

the sticky is just of the fuses.
does anyone know the number of the FPR cuz i cant seem to find it on the internet and no one is willing to say what the number on the relay is

Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=missing+relay
mhhhm looks nothing like the fuses i have seen

Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Former Sponsor

You said the engine cranks but doesn't turn over. You mean you hear the engine cranking via the starter motor but it doesn't start and run, correct? I ask because you also said you hit the starter motor with a hammer, which is something you'd do if the engine doesn't even crank over. As in, the starter is bad, sometimes hitting it while the key is in the start position (somebody helping you) will get the starter spinning, then the engine starts. I'm just trying to clarify.

But the part number for the fuel pump relay is 4D0-953-253 and should be in position 4/372, which from the link given above helps to find out there is actually a position 372 where you should find this relay.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

thats what i originally thought the problem was and i was talking to a guy at advance auto and he said it might not be the starter, i have been trying different things to rule them out b4 i try and remove the starter and find out that it is good and waste about $200 for it. How can u tell if the relay is bad other than the car not starting?

Quick Reply: I need help.... wont Start