B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I NEED an AUDI!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default I NEED an AUDI!!!

Thanks for clicking!

I currently have a 2000 Maxima se and I hate it. It's automatic, and just looks really plain, and not very fun. So I've been looking for a car that wasn't so plain, and that would be worth upgrading.

I have been looking at Audis for a while now. I know they come with work, but my brother has one, and I have just searched online and it doesn't seem too much different than any other car. Granted the tasks were very simple (changing oil, routers and pads) I have searched other things and they seem just as easy.

Seems like everyone says go with the 1.8t and upgrade the chip and turbo but everyone keeeps telling me the turbo is going to blow out my engine and I will be out a car. If, or when I get the Audi I think it will be a 1997 1.8t. I was wondering:

How much does a chip and turbo cost? And how many horses are you actually getting from that? I have heard statistics are over-estimated.

How much would it cost to install a chip and turbo (from a mechanic)?

How much of a difference does the AWD (Quatro) make? Is it worth waiting to find an AWD over FWD?

How many miles is the maximum on the car should I be looking for? I know that Audis don't last forever, but I want one for a few years without having to fix anything major.

Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

i have the 2.8 quattro 5spd.

why wouldn't you get a quattro? even if you don't live in a place where you don't get crazy climate changes, its still nice to have. as far as 1.8T's many people do the chip+ turbos.
if you look in the newbie guide, it has a bunch of links for parts and information about everything you're looking for, including different chip brands, and i'm guessing Mike will chime in with the performance and suggestions haha.

audi's are great reliable cars for the money, although the 2.8 is said to be way more reliable, they're no different than any other car for repairs, except anything in the engine bay is hard to get at, and the only way things get extremely expensive, is if you buy brand new, and have the dealer install. you can find many cars being parted out if you ever need anything for a decent price, and install yourself to save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. these cars get a lot of attention, and many people will think you drive a super nice expensive car because of the four rings on the front and back!
i would recommend an audi to anybody.

good luck!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Administrator

First off, welcome. Check out this thread:
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=109459

You and twoeight have both made several good points, but here's my $.02:

Audi's do require regular maintenance, yes. But IMO its nothing that shouldn't be done to any other car. Regular oil changes, grease this and lubricate that, etc. and so-forth.

The 1.8T was originally designed as the base model, with the turbo added mostly for efficiency and to make up for a relatively small displacement motor. The 1.8T cars tend to have fewer options, for example you can't get a 1.8T with leather. We get pleather . This motor has more **** stuck to it, with the turbo, intercooler, and related turbo gadgets, so it can be intimidating to work on if you don't know much about it (like me ), but this is the motor you want if you're looking to mod the car though. To answer a few of your questions, chips range anywhere from $200-$700+ new, less for used. And turbo setups can be anywhere from $600 for an OEM replacement K03 to $6k plus for a BAT set up with manifolds, injectors, and related parts. See here: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/1-8t-turbo-upgrade-information-93439/

The 2.8 tends to be more reliable, especially in the 12 valve flavor (96,97 and early 98) due in no small part to its simplicity. The other obvious thing that adds to its reliability is the fact that its naturally aspirated. Generally speaking the newer the car, the more complicated it is, and (if you're a glass-half-empty kinda guy) the more things there are to break. With the 30v 2.8 (98.5-2001) came variable intake geometry, secondary air injection, drive-by-wire, etc.

In any case, I would hold out for Quattro. The Quattro drive train is bullet proof and having AWD, regardless of where you live, is always FTW. There's nothing wrong with the Front trak drive train, it's just that its only half as good as AWD

Apologies for the long, meandering response, hope it helps.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 AM
2nd Gear

I just want to let you know that... no, you do NOT NEED an Audi. You WANT an Audi.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 AM
4th Gear

Not much left to be said that hasn't already been said, but to put the 1.8T vs 2.8 in comparision performance wise, a 1.8T with a chip (about $400 for a well known, tried and test APR or GIAC) and a good DV (about $150) you are already making more power than the 2.8, especially the 12V.

Quattro is just a must. There is nothing like it, and nothing will beat it. I also have a '09 Maxima which is front wheel drive, and while it is a nice comfortable and fun car to drive, I would take my quattro any day when it come to overall handling, on dry pavement, wet pavement, or in the snow. Plus, without the quattro badge on the front, other Audi enthusiast will know you're really just driving an over priced VW. I've seen a beautiful black on black B7 with some nice wheels at work. It really is beautiful, but I know that without the badge on the front, he's all show, and no go... I even test drove a B7 FWD several months ago, and I hated it!

What it boils down to: no matter what model you get, quattro is a must. If you're looking to drop some money on some decent mods, the 1.8T with a 5 speed is for you. If you're looking to relax and enjoy the ride, the 2.8 with an auto trans is more your style. Either way, if you can't turn a wrench to save your life, and you think you'll need a mechanic for everything, Audi is not for you, at least not a B5. They need a lot of love, a lot of attention, and a lot of preventive maintenance- like control arms and timing belt. I recently did both on mine, spent about 500 bucks on parts and did the work myself. Had I taken it to a mechanic, it easily would have been 1500-2000. Basic maintenance is easy, brakes, oil, ect. ect. But real wrenching is where you save you're money.

Just my little tid bit, and like CCA4 said, sorry for my rambling.

And one last thing, whatever you do, mod tastefully. If extreme body kits, obnoxious fart can mufflers, and "rims" are more your style, stick with a honda... and a word of warning for your future threads, if you get the 1.8T, don't ask about a BOV because you want to "hear the ppfffffsssht."

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

...why buy an audi if you aren't getting quattro??

Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

wanna buy my sedan? its a 97 1.8t auto?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Actual WIZARD

^^^ Lol

Always hustlin