B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I know it's only October but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
yeah i know it bad on the car but have you ever driven a cold vehicle when its 30 below zero out? its doesnt work. i know they put that in the manual but they also list a reason that its "bad for the environment". well i dont really care about the environment when its 30 below!
Manual also says not to drive more then 2 hrs at a time, but I am sure no one pays attention to that one or even when the warning comes up on the cluster. lol

Winter what is that? Well other then the fact that it is 80 degs during the day not 100.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
3rd Gear

Damn Californians. I envy you.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by NickBroderick
Damn Californians. I envy you.
I don't!

They don't get the joy of Quattro in the snow. It is the greatest fun you can have in this car. Nothing like a good old Canadian winter!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 AM

How is it bad to let the car warm up?

Like someone else said, the manual refers to emissions as the reason not to let the car idle uneccesarily. Letting the car warm up so that the defrost will allow you to see through the windshield is neccessary.

I just started using Rain-x. Good stuff.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by yeahright
I don't!

They don't get the joy of Quattro in the snow. It is the greatest fun you can have in this car. Nothing like a good old Canadian winter!
+1
haha gotta love watching other people flounder and slide as you blow past like it's dry and warm.

Oh and someone asked about fixing heated seats, if i were you i'd check all the connections under the seat, and then go through your fuses and check all those. if not you can pick up heated seat covers to get you through this winter for like $40.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by yeahright
I don't!

What? I sure hope your kidding seeing that Mountain High is 1 hr from me and Big Bear is 3 hrs from me. Here in socal you are able to go to the beach in the morning and then drive to ski that same day.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
What? I sure hope your kidding seeing that Mountain High is 1 hr from me and Big Bear is 3 hrs from me. Here in socal you are able to go to the beach in the morning and then drive to ski that same day.
Yet not legally able to put a bumper sticker on your car without it being approved by CARB. No thanks!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 PM
5th Gear

i only drive to school which is 10 min away and on the way, there are plenty of places to call for help so all i do is swap out my wheels for my winter setup with nokian hakka 2 snow tires. they are like god on snow but howl like a jet passing overhead on dry though. i check my fluids every week and i scan my car every 2 months with vag com and i've gotten into the habit of that so i'm not worried about winter except for other drivers.

oh and you Cali ppl can shut your pie holes. we don't want to hear you whine about not having to shovel snow

Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I think the wiper thing makes sense. I the summer i use SUMMER blades, in the winter i use WINTER blades. We're not puttin the O-rings in the rocket boosters here. I drive with all season tires, so no swapping wheels or anything. Only things I do differently beyond that are an extra pair of gloves and the snow brush.

I wish I lived in CA

Old 10-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Guru

I just use profile blades. It's an all-season blade and it's great.

Quick Reply: I know it's only October but...