B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

i have an oil leak... help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 PM

no, there is a large hose that may get in you way, but you can loosen the clamp and remove the one end rather easily. Just get some good light in there and look under the coolant reservoir and you should see the filter.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:41 PM
4th Gear

i took the reservoir off it was only 3 screws, i saw the filter i wiped it with a clean rag and no oil just a very light dusting of dirt.. idk... i did tighten the oil nut a little before after i posted the 1st set of pictures just to see if that was maybe the problem. and there is no leaks ill have to let my car sit overnight with a piece of newspaper under it or something to make sure

Old 10-25-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

I would start the car and let it idle for a while. See if you see any oil dripping, if not take it for a drive then park it again, without the skid plate on, watch for drips. It should leak when at an idle, dont know why it wouldnt. You should be able to get an idea of where its coming from by doing that.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:46 AM
4th Gear

yea i did that several times yesterday.. and it didnt leak

Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

That is not a lot of oil on your skid plate, oil tends to spread out. Just watch out if you keep that skid plate off, it will let more air into the engine bay and sling any oil that is leaking all over the place, including onto the exhaust. Clean the engine bay really good, put the skid plate back on for a day, keep checking to see where it is coming from.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear

it was probably the hacks at firestone that didnt know how to remove the oil filter without dumping it into the subframe, so its probably just still dripping from the oil they left there.

btw the correct way to get the filter out is to remove the coolant tank up top. then unscrew the filter, once you get it off stick your finger in the hole in the center of the filter and lift it up and out. most people try from the bottom and end up dropping it or tiping it over.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear

I'm guessing you've never changed your oil...

Well clean EVERY part of the engine with brake cleaner. Then you'll find where its coming from. Its def not from the filter because if there's a slight leak it will dump 1 litre as soon as you turn the engine on. And maybe I'm skinny but I unscrew it from the top and carefully bring it up. Takes a minute tops. Its probably your valve cover gasket or your oil pan's. Or the pan itself might be cracked due to overtightening the bolt. if you don't do any oil changes then take it to firestone or whatever and have them check it out. Its hard to tell by pics

Old 10-25-2008, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

That just makes alot more work doing it from the top. I do mine myself and have had no problem doing it. Yeah a little oil gets on the subframe but oh well, it wont rust for a while longer right?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

+1 to euro, i was gonna suggest checking valve cover/oil pan gaskets. based on your pics i don't think the drain plug or filter is leakin.

ghost could be right too though, might just be the hacks from firestone?

any new leaks?

Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by nmocci
That just makes alot more work doing it from the top. I do mine myself and have had no problem doing it. Yeah a little oil gets on the subframe but oh well, it wont rust for a while longer right?
Place a dirty rag on the subframe before you remove the filter.

I've never tried taking the filter out from the bottom?? but its easy to do from the top.

Quick Reply: i have an oil leak... help please!!