B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

i have an oil leak... help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 PM
4th Gear
Default i have an oil leak... help please!!

ok so my dad has been complaining that my car is leaving spots on the drive way so he pointed one out to me today i wiped it and it was oil... so i checked my oil levels and they were good so idk whats going on... well today on my way to the doctors i thought about it again.. so as i was leaving i backed up a little and sure enough there was a spot. it looks like its comming right from the back of the skid plate, so i took it off and had a look... i snapped a few pictures, im not sure where the oil nut it but i had it changed at firestone so i think they might have not tightened it all the way or it could be something else,, what ever it is i want it fixed before it gets worse.. heres the pictures... and please can i get help from people that actually know what they are talking about, no posts about yea im having the same problem.. go make your own thread for that.. i want my problem found out and fixed before i go to work, not next week after my thread gets stolen by some newbie.

Name:  IMG_0266.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  104.4 KB

which one if to change the oil? and which one could be the possible leak?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

I would check your oil cooler lines. I have an oil leak and im positive thats where mine is coming from. I just need to throw a new clamp on there myself, but you night have a cracked line. Check that out first then get back.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
4th Gear

which one is it. i havent thrown myself into the engine on this car yet.. ive only been playing with electrical and easy stuff so the rest is still new to me believe it or not

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM

The pics are not that helpful but the nut you remove to drain the oil is in the last pic. I dont see oil on the nut so I would assume that is not your problem. Def wanna check you oil lines and I would also check around the filter. It would be wise not to drive the car until you find the leak - if you are still having trouble, try cleaning all of the dirty spots then watch closely as your engine runs and you should be able to see the problem. good luck.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Uhh, its more towards the front of the car i guess. The Actual cooler goes in front of the radiator, but you should be able to see your cooler lines by taking off your skid plate. You should see two rubber lines connecting to two steel lines. Its offcenter of the engine. More towards the driver side. If their leaking you'll see it right away, i did. Also your drain plug is in the 4th picture and it shows no signs of leaking, at all. That thing is clean. Also where is it leaking onto the skid plate? from the very front or?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM
4th Gear

ill get a picture of the skid plate its very easy to see, its a very small leak, from my car sitting over night it made about a half dollar sized spot on the driveway.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM

If you are really having problems then you need to clean everything so that the leak is easier to track back to the source. It may (or may not) be easier to spot the leak from the top of the motor. This way you should be able to determine the height of where the leak is occuring.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
4th Gear

yea i left the skid plate off so if it does leak i will be able to see exactly where its comming from, my car has been out there for an hour now and so far nothing...

but heres the picture of the skid plate
Name:  IMG_0268.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  396.4 KB

and are these the lines u were talking about before?

and this is the clearest picutre to see after 1 hour of sitting.... there no spots

from what it looks like is that its comming from somewhere on the drivers side and driping out the back of the plate, i just washed the plate now so that when i do put it back on later i will be able to see where its building up, from that picture that could have been recent or it could have been over the past 9 years of the cars life, i dont know but now i will since i just cleaned it

Last edited by Jc61990; 10-24-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM

Did you check the filter (under the coolant reservoir)?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:15 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
Did you check the filter (under the coolant reservoir)?
do i have to take the reservoir out?

Quick Reply: i have an oil leak... help please!!