B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I hate what i did to my baby. Have Body questions guys.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 AM
1st Gear
Default I hate what i did to my baby. Have Body questions guys.

It was a very very sad friday night when i was comen home in the fog and rain. I had been down this road a million times and i knew it ended suddenly with a blind left turn. It was rainin and foggy as hell , there were alot of cars in the street witch made the dam turn even harder to see. I wasnt payin attention to the turn comen up and hit the brakes, slid in the water and jumped the curb into the bushes. God dammit. Ill tell you what guys, Quattro is amazing but a wet road in a straight line going to fast braking too late doesnt allow AWD to save ya.

I just waxed 'Esabell' to. Im the guy that does a full detail at every wash and cleans my rims with armor-all wipes and a toothbrush and this is what i did to her. I would post up pics but im a little busy replacing this guys bushes.

My bumper is cracked down the middle and my driverside headlight washer is crushed. I broke off the small plastic lower lip under the main bumper at the mounting points so thats trashed. I can honestly say that that DAM BELLY PAN SAVED MY ENGINE SINGLE HANDEDLY, without it every single oil, coolent, and vacume line under my engine would be riped out and i probally would have cracked my oil pan. God bless that Belly Pan.

Im going to need a new bumper, AND a new belly pan thank god nothing else was really destroyed. I came 1cm away from crackin a headlight!

Im thinking an S4 bumper but i DONT wanna be a poser. And i think the 'LLTek' RS4 bumper is waaayyyyy over priced and i dont like the little fins on the side. Does anybody have any suggestions? I dont want something crazy, cause to be honest i like things to look like they came from the factory as a cool option. (i hate when u know someone went out of there way to get attention, like a crazy body kit.) So im not sure what i should get. Id like some links for an oem S4 and A4 bumper and maby some other suttle upgraded bumpers.

lol at least i have black so its easy to color match. As a matter of fact...does any one have a 'paint code' or something like that so they can match it exactly? Is there anything like that?

I dont know a whole lot about body work so i dont know what other parts i may need to go from A4 to S4 front end. Help?[sm=sigh.gif]

And Lastly...what do u guys (n' gal) think about the S4 bumper. I think its poser and just askin for a race in a 2.8 every 3 lights. Idk about it. Tell me what ya think.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Default RE: I hate what i did to my baby. Have Body questions guys.

ouch, man...sorry to hear that. i can empathize with ya on the pain
as far as the sites go....i'm not much help sorry but i do think the s4 bumper is a good option IF you're going to do the s4 sides as well otherwise the bumper hangs noticibely lower than the sides and looks crappy (imo) plus, i don't think too many people notice the difference between the a4 and s4 bumpers unless they know their stuff

Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 PM
4th Gear

That does suck - I had a similar experience this winter, actually. I was on a road I knew was icy, but I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have coming up to a curve before a stop sign, and before I knew it the ABS was kicking in and screwing with me, and I understeered right into a snow bank and cracked my bumper and trashed the valence.

Your paint code is printed on the sticker inside the spare tyre well in your trunk - if your car is Brilliant Black, the paintcode is LY9B/A1. If you have a different color, it'll be something similar to that.

I'm all about the S4 bumper - yeah it's a popular upgrade and lots of people have it, but that's because it looks really good lol! I agree with johnnythefox that if you do the S4 bumper, you should also get the S4 side skirts to match so the bumper doesn't hang lower than the rest of the car.I would also recommendyou get the lower valence on your rear bumper painted to complete the S4 look.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Im also interested in the S4 look. Where would be a good place to source the front bumper, sides and rear valence? I see the ones on ebay but everything is fiberglass replicas and thats not really what I want. I had a fiberglass Mtec II kit on my E30 and it didnt last long

Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 PM
4th Gear

As much as I hate the local Audi dealership (owned by Lithia - boo, hiss), that's where I'd go. Way easier than trying to find a wrecked one with the front bumper and side skirts intact. Also, since they're so popular, you don't really end up saving any money buying them salvaged.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

from what i see from just pictures online is that....the little plastic lip that comes under our A4 bumper combined with the bumper its self is relitivly the same height as the S4 bumper as a whole. if you look close it really just looks like as it the A4 'plastic lip' was removed and the S4 bumper skin was length'nd.....its hard to explain. but. you know what i meen?im dam tied today soo...

Old 04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

You could look into keeping the OEM A4 bumper (a new one of course) and adding a lip spoiler to it - that'd give you less of the S4 look, but would definitely set off the looks of the car. Check out www.tmtuning.com - they've got a ton of lip spoilers (as well as full bumpers) and you may find the look you want there.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 PM
4th Gear

ouch man, sorry to hear that, remember what its said with quattro when in doubt gas it, this tecnique has saved me so much. but the S4 bumper is good, its not wide mouthed (no FMIC to show off) but the S4 unit is nice upgrade and adds to asttics while making it looke like your missing something, also make sure you didnt bend a control arm or tie rod.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
5th Gear

sorry bout waht happened man. don't worry though, those things are def smaller problems than what would have happened. as for the bumper, you can tape the back, bondo and repaint it. as for the lower lip, you can glue it back on with 3M double sided tape if you don't wanna buy a new one. the washer can be taken off any other audi but if you dont' use them don't bother. make sure you check out the rest of your car. especially the radiator, condensor, a/c lines and the power steering cooling line.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

yeah, i dont really use the headlight washer over here that much. I guess its for when snow and more importantly ice starts to cover your headlights and for some reason here on Long Island that doesnt happen to my car. Id rather see how much weight i can save yeah! lol I have a contact at the dealer thats not gonna screw me with that extra 20% they tag on to the price of a part ordered from the dealer, so hes going to check A4 and S4 bumpers for me.

Also, he said that the A4 and S4 bumpers are basicly the height from top to bottom, the difference is when u bottom out in the S4 you scrape the actual bumper skin and not that little plastic peice the A4 has (witch has probally saved a few of us) I think im going to go with an S4 bumper if the price is right. Ditch the headlight washer. And maby modify the S4 like i have seen online to give it a more 'custom A4 look' rather than a 'slap on an S4 bumper look'

I will be sure to get back to you guys with prices after i go to the dealer today. And best of all some pics, in about 2 weeks i should have the Bumper intake and tints done. lol. Hopefully....

Quick Reply: I hate what i did to my baby. Have Body questions guys.