B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I dont want to own a audi anymore...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default I dont want to own a audi anymore...........

my car has coast me over sooooooo much money this summer.
about 2 months ago i replaced timing belt and cat convert for 1200. 3 weeks ago from today,my car threw CEL and i foundout that it was misfire in cylinder 2,3,4, so replaced the plugs NGK and coilpacks coast me around 200 dollars shipped to my door. after i replaced it cleared the CEL and i thought it was over but was i wrong. after taking care of that problem, the car got stuck on 3rd gear and would not switch to tiptronic mode. it didnt even throw a CEL. so i took it to my local vw shop and they found that it was the transmission module which was located under the seat of the driver. it was 600 just for the part took them 3 hours to replace it. i replaced the most of the hoses because they were almost all cracked down and broken. also changed the n75 valve which was broken and the dv all that paid 1100. finaly i thought that was it but day later threw a CEL again and i took it to the shop my MAF sensor is shot and so it the o2 sensor. i was so pissed i didnt even want to touch the car so i let the shop handle it 700 dollars.
i dont mind the timing belt and the cat but others coast me.

now i have the car i donn o what to do because i am tired of putting so much money in to this car

Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM

Sucks. Dunno what to tell you man. Part it out and sell it? Gimme the testpipe and wheels kthx.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

cant blame one car on the entire line man. ya got a bad egg it happens ...... keep your chin up ...dump her and move along. Or save her and make it personal

Old 08-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Sp33d07
i replaced timing belt and cat convert for 1200.
Rip off, especially if YOU did it.. People part their cars out all the time, you could have gotten a used working cat for like $40. Timing belt itself should not cost more than $100 if you DIY. $300-$500 at a shop, and $900+ at the dealer.
3 weeks ago from today,my car threw CEL and i found out that it was misfire in cylinder 2,3,4, so replaced the plugs NGK and coil packs coast me around 200 dollars shipped to my door.
Plugs cost $1.80 each if you get copper, which is good stuff. Idk what year you have, but 3 coil packs going at the same time is HIGHLY unlikely. Sounds like a misdiagnosis to me. But again, something you can find in a part out. ATW and AWM coil packs aren't known to crap out, ever. If it's AEB, you could have found those in a part out as well for cheap.
the car got stuck on 3rd gear and would not switch to tiptronic mode. it didn't even throw a CEL.
Why would a tranny issue cause a CEL?
transmission module which was located under the seat of the driver. it was 600 just for the part took them 3 hours to replace it.
Did you even attempt to call Shokan or any other junk yards to get this part?
i replaced the most of the hoses because they were almost all cracked down and broken.
What do you expect with how hot these engines get? I'm sure the braided fabric that insulates the hoses was frayed/rotted/cracked, but its doubtful that ALL of them were like this. Regardless, $10 buys enough vac line to replace everything.
also changed the n75 valve which was broken and the dv all
How did the n75 break? Was the DV stock? What were the fault codes/symptoms?
finaly i thought that was it but day later threw a CEL again and i took it to the shop my MAF sensor is shot and so it the o2 sensor.
Again, unlikely that they both died as the SAME time... It's likely that one broken part resulted in the fault code of something else. A bad MAF might also cause an 02 sensor code and vice versa.
i was so pissed i didnt even want to touch the car so i let the shop handle it 700 dollars.
Total rip off. Again things you could have sourced elsewhere for about $600 less.

now i have the car i donn o what to do because i am tired of putting so much money in to this car
You sound like an excellent candidate for a moped. You'll be way less likely to get taken advantage of. I'm sorry man, you went about your problems all wrong, and obviously got taken for a ride. Unfortunate.

I know that when you need your car, you need your car and it's difficult to hold out for used parts, etc. But if you think about it, with all the money you spent, you could have bought a $500 beater, gone about your repairs/diagnosis the right way, and still not had spent as much. I never saw a post from you regarding these problems until now, or else we could have saved you a **** ton of money. Guaranteed. For serious, and I DON'T mean this as an insult, buy a Honda.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-11-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear
Smile onepoint

onepoint, words are so easy to say but hard to put in action. first i have no tools besides basic stuff, also live in a apartment. and work fulltime and goto college, also not a mechanic know some about cars but not enough. i did not have have a ride for 2 weeks, it is like having your hand tied. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IN AMERICA SUCKS!!!!

maybe i should move back to europe

Old 08-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Site Moderator

Idk if moving to back to Europe is a solution to your car situation.... Maybe you live in BFE, but there are always willing members to help out. Even if it means a road trip to help someone out who doesn't have tools. I wasn't trying to get sassy, it's just a disgusting situation, and it does seem like you got taken advantage of, which is not necessarily the Audi's fault. Had you come here first, we could have at least pointed you in the right direction. You don't need an extensive tool collection to diagnose.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear

should have bought a 2.8

I love throwing in my 2 cents

Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 PM

first i have no tools besides basic stuff
You could have bought tools and done the work yourself and still save alotta $$$$

also not a mechanic know some about cars but not enough.
You don't have to be an Audi certified tech to work on your car. Just take your time when your doing it and it usually works out, AND you will learn alot about cars.

Sorry about your luck just keep your chin up and try to do it yourself or take it to a reasonable price shop

Old 08-11-2008, 11:53 PM
5th Gear

i think his main concern is time. ateurv8's comment is very true. BTW where's you're supercharger ateurv8? anyways, you should either sell it and get something more reliable or deal with it. your possible failures in the future could be turbo, sludge, ECT, wheel bearings and control arms. sludge is easy to take care of, just get a can a seafoam and dump some of it in your crank every 3rd oil change and use the rest in the gas tank to keep the pump and filter clean. good luck man. i hope you decide to keep it because i don't think you'll find another car that drives like an audi

Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 AM
3rd Gear

ats wheels 18',
apr 93 octane chip,
m3 spoiler
evo intake
red calipers
phanthom boost gauge vent(did it my self)
18 percent tint all around
3inch atp testpipe
2.5 full exhaust system magnaflow
gfb bov/dv
Kamei Grill
10k HID's

Hm. ^This is the list in your sig. I see a LOT of money spent without complaints here...

And where in America do you live that public transportation sucks??

Are Audis expensive to fix? Definitely. Most people understand that when diving into an older German luxury car. It sucks, we all do it, you have to pay to play. Next time something expensive happens, sell a piece of your Audi's bling to get the money for needed repairs.

Good luck in the future!

Quick Reply: I dont want to own a audi anymore...........