B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I.C. piping kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: I.C. piping kits

ORIGINAL: 01afour

so bascially i should just get the parts form the local shop? it sounds like thats gunna be the cheapest, but i still would need the T pipe that goes to the DV. and is 2" all the way the best setup or should i go bigger in some places? my core has 2" in and out if that changes anything. i kno someone that can weld it for me on sight, as in i can do all of the piping at his shop to get it to fit, then he'll just weld it in. if i make my kit i need3x90* and 1x45*, and about what?..two feet of straight?? and should i run one pipe from the turbo outlet to the ic, then just one solid pipe from the ic to the intake, orshould i put oneclamp somewhere inbetween any of thoseso it can flex. im mainly askin thsi causei got a random check in the mail today from insurance so im gunna try and get this done this weekend.
ic to intake? there is no such thing. there should be one pipe going from the turbo outlet hose to the IC. its a 90* bend and a 45* bend (some use a 35). and you wont need a t pipe if your keeping the turbo outlet hose since it already has the dv connection in it. if you remove the turbo outlet hose and run the piping striaght to the turbo, then you'll need a t pipe or just a connection welded to the piping somewhere. then there's the the other side of the IC. it goes from the IC to either the tb hose or straight to the tb. you need 2 90* bends and if you don't use the tb hose you will need a few ft of staight pipe to reach the tb. you dont have a MAP so you don't have to worry bout that. and 2" will be fine, but if you go BT in the future running a hotside equivalent to the size of the outlet of the turbo and a 2.5" cold side would be ideal.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 PM
3rd Gear

ic to intake? ---- I think he means ic to intake manifold.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm make believe

Just go 2.25" all around. It wont harm spool or psi. Plus it will be good forup to agt2871r if you ever plan on upgrading.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear

yeah i meant the intake mani. my bad. and i was planning on putting new piping all the way to the turbo, since thats what my kit has anyway. and i wanna run it all the way to the t.b. also. i still got a few questions though, will running a 2.25" pipe right off the turbo somehow reduce the pressure? or is the size of the pipe once the air is right out of the turbo make no difference.

also i do planning on putting a BIG turbo in there once i save the money, and do a lot more research on it, probably bigger then a 28, so would the piping still be good? or do turbos bigger then 28's need more. i know with a BT im gunna need to upgrade the core anyway, so a whole kit would probably be in order. anyway im gettin way ahead of myself. im just debating if i should stick with my setup now,and make it as good as possible for temp use, or if i should just leave it poorly tuned and save all my money for the BT.

*and by poorly tuned i mean the whoping 8Lb 'chip', the straight pipes with a cat, and the 1.5 IC piping.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm make believe

rule of thumb. Turbo out size to the ic then .25" bigger to tb. There are honda guys making 500whp on 2.25 piping.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

rule of thumb. Turbo out size to the ic then .25" bigger to tb. There are honda guys making 500whp on 2.25 piping.
That would be a Honda. Big difference between lawnmower engines and car engines. [8D]

Edit: You know I'm joking! As cincy told me, 2.25" hotside to 2.5" is sufficient for BAT/DD applications. Hot air compresses better, so you want that slightly smaller so you don't lose boost pressure.

Edit 2: Kraylon, I got the following for $189 shipped:

Just-Intercoolers

28x7x2.5 intercooler

1x 2.5" 45 degree bend pipe
2x 2.5" 90 degree bend pipe
1x 2.5" J-bend pipe

1x 2.25" 45 degree bend pipe
2x 2.25" 90 degree bend pipe
1x J-bend pipe

2.5" Straight Silicon Hose x3
2.25" Straight Silicon Hose x2
2.5"~2.25" Silicon Reducer Hose x1
2.5" 90 degree Hose x1
2.25" 90 degree Hose x1

2.5" Stainless Steel T-Clamp x8
2.25" Stainless Steel T-Clamp x8
They custom-assembled the kit. They're very, very nice people, and respond promptly. BTW, for reference, I'm planning to do 300whp, and that application is sufficient. Perhaps a taller core, 8-9", will do better, but you don't really want it thicker or longer.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Is there a reason why people don't get local muffler shops to mandrel bend pipes for IC kits?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 PM

cbehr, I don't see why not. You can also order the piping and have them weld it so the flow is better.

The only reason I can think of, is perhaps the grade of aluminum may be different?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: cbehr

Is there a reason why people don't get local muffler shops to mandrel bend pipes for IC kits?
thats what i did for the hotside pipe. i had the coldside from greddy.

pretty sure you have a 2" outlet, unless its different than a k04. i dont know what a 28rs has tho. so if your not using the turbo outlet hose or the tb hose using 2" hotside and 2.5" coldside will make thing easiest, since the tb is 2.5", and work very well. the smaller diam on the hotside keeps velocity up and the coldside is bigger to move more air. you just need a 2"-2.5" reducer on the coldside tank of the ic, a 2.5" connector for the tb, and two 2" connectors on the hotside. get everything else welded

Old 02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

yeah i know someone that is able to weld alum. so im just waiting for the pennies to add up for the new pipes and some alum. feed for his welder, and im probably just gunna have 2 solid pipes, with clamps on everything, and i think im gunna go 2.25" hot side, and 2.5" cold side. and hopefully buy the spring ill be getting a new core for it also.

Quick Reply: I.C. piping kits