B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

hydroplaned my a4 into a curb

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default hydroplaned my a4 into a curb

So I was going to meet someone today, and right outside of the meeting place, my car hydroplaned as I was going maybe 10 mph. I was going around a curve going right, so when I lost control my wheels were turned right. I slammed into a curb, cracked my rim, and pushed the wheel back against the wheel well. I was on the freeway so I drove the car up a driveway to get out of the way, which required all my engine power. I know that the car is messed up badly, but Im not sure as the extent of the damage. I had to leave it there until I can get it towed in the morning, but not before I try to find shops in the Austin area that wont screw me and will do good work.

Basically, whats the break down guys? Worst case, best case, have you seen this before?? I did have the car in neutral, hopefully that saved the tranny from the worst case scenario.

I just paid tuition. Im broke, very very bad timing =(

Old 03-14-2009, 01:18 AM

Pictures would definitely help... If the whole wheel is actually further in the wheel well, you could have bent or broken your control arms, axle, wheel bearing carrier, etc... Most likely you bent your wheel and bent or broke your lower control arms and broke a cv joint. I'd say it took all of your power because you broke your axle or cv joint, and your diffs and EDL system were freaking out.

Get some pictures up man, sucks that it happened.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

sounds like cv and control arms for sure. pictures would help to asses the damage. you might be able to do it yourself to save a butt load of money if you have another ride while you're waiting for parts to come in. oh yeah, bearing's probably toast too. check the spindle very carefully while you're under there.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

thanks guys. Right now its parked at the barton creek mall, a good 40 minutes from me until I get off work at 2. then I can have it towed. I will definitely get some shots of it.

I do have another car for the time being.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear

well the best way to avoid this next time is to try to straighten the wheels as quickly as possible before you hit, I know NJ winters have taught me that lesson. Lot a good it'll do you know but for future reference.

Like they stated above, Control Arms, CV Joint, etc. there's too much **** up there to escape from being damaged. It might cost around a grand for parts and a wheel if you source your own, and yeah if you are mechanically inclined you can save a ton of dough and do it yourself.

Good Luck man, hope you get her on the road soon.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

you're probably looking at about 6 hours labor charge minimum, at a shop. since you have another ride, I would say pick up the bentley manual and order parts and do it yourself.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

oh yeah, you better get it aligned after (if) you do the work yourself.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

i was able to grab a few photos before the wrecker got there.

http://usera.imagecave.com/enjoi_311/

I know they're not too explanatory. Clearly the left side needs work, I wont know how much until monday when I can take the wheel off to see the extent of it all, and I will get more pics then. I actually repair tv's, so I know how annoying it is when someone ask "whats it gonna cost?" before you can even see whats going on. I have always repaired my own vehicles, so I will attempt this if control arms, cv joints, wheel bearing etc are the only damaged parts.

I backed the car up and watched the wheel as I did, I dont think the axle is bent. The wheel spins completely circular. If so that will be good news.

thanks guys.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 PM
3rd Gear

yeah that wheel looks pretty pushed back......

you'll get a better picture of what it all looks like in there if you jack that side up. I'm doing my CA's next Saturday so I'll definitely let you know how much work will go into fixing them.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

You'll need a wheel (duh), wheel bearing, 4 arms, and sway bar end link. Additionally, you might need a strut, wheel carrier, and sway bar.

Also, you'll need to look at the top of the strut to make sure the mount and surrounding areas weren't damaged. Look for creases and peeling paint.

Last, you'll need an alignment. You'll likely need the front subframe re-aligned as well. Take to an Audi dealer to have this done.

And avoid Goodyears. I hate to put down an American company, but they just are not great tires for performance-oriented cars.

Quick Reply: hydroplaned my a4 into a curb