B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Hulk B5's Timeline

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

pics are decent. I'm really not feeling the twists. it isn't that they look bad, just not to my tastes. also not liking the way your photog chose to shoot in relation to the sun. the backlighting in most of the pics doesn't do your car justice in my opinion. the shots where your car is well lit, I like the way that green pops.

thanks for the update

Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
pics are decent. I'm really not feeling the twists. it isn't that they look bad, just not to my tastes. also not liking the way your photog chose to shoot in relation to the sun. the backlighting in most of the pics doesn't do your car justice in my opinion. the shots where your car is well lit, I like the way that green pops.

thanks for the update

Well thank you for your honesty!
These aren't done by a photographer, this is just right down the street and i just took with a digital camera, just for some clarification.
But i agree, i took way to many with the wheels turned.

Last edited by HulkB5; 03-09-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Legal Moderator

im liking how your build is coming along, but i want more info on how maestro is working for you. im not sure if you saw my thread, but i did pick up a 2871r recently and am deciding what tune i want. i know im going with 630cc injectors so im stuck between uni and maestro. first off how is the base tune on maestro? have you had to tweak it much and if you have how difficult was it?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 AM
1st Gear

Right on Redline!
I'd go maestro, because you have to ability to adjust the tune for free in the future,you can clear codes, ect...

I was very skeptical at first also but i haven't had to tamper with mine at all.
i might go get it dyno tuned by 034 if i have money to blow in future for a few extra hp, but i'm very satisfied at the moment.
The clutch is finally almost broken in, and the engine runs strong.

Very happy with it, just small stuff left to fix.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 AM
2nd Gear

How did you install those monitors in the driver and passenger head rests?

Where did you run the audio/videos RCA cables?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 AM
1st Gear

The cable for the headrest runs down with the aluminum bar, so it is visible but surprisingly not very noticeable unless you look for it..

Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Double post delete....

Last edited by HulkB5; 04-17-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

Here's some updates on what went down.

2/20/12
I got my head unit back from a pioneer servicing shop and was charged 120 and it didn't do anything. The bill read "cleaned connections".

The only things left to fix are the stereo whine, the cracked windshield which I'm having replaced tomorrow, and the alternator bearings are shot so I'm going to pull it sometime this week an replace it.
But this whine refuses to go away. That shop claims they did the work do I assume they did.
And my 6 month old puppy shredded the receipt on the way home from picking it up.
I'm going to put in a different alternator, and if that doesn't change anything i am going to raise hell.

2/22/12
Got the new windshield in
Name:  C3fIYl.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  53.8 KB

2/28/12
So today while attempting to adjust my coilovers i bent my wrench, and now i am stuck looking like this until i find a new wrench.
Name:  0gCX4l.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  56.5 KB

3/08/12
I borrowed a wrench from a buddy, and i had to heat the collar with a torch to get it to move.
Finally got all the threads cleaned and the dirt out form the collar and its fine.
Changed out my strut mounts only to find that the brake caliper was loose and was making the noise over bumps.

3/16/12
So yesterday i was getting a weird whistling noise in low rpms, so i figured it was an exhaust leak.

This morning i went out to check it out and in between my exhaust manifold and turbo there was a slightly bigger gap than normal, so i hit the throttle body and exhaust gases came out and hit me in the face.

So i took a wrench to start tightening down the nuts and under probably 7 ft lbs of torque the stud snapped.
Name:  KibJ6l.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  63.7 KB

So i had to pull the turbo, and extract the old manifold studs including the snapped one.
Luckily a local auto parts store carried the studs.

Needless to say i bolted it all back together and it was about a 3 hour job, but i'm glad i fixed that.
Plus the old studs were fubared.

3/26/12
Ok! i got my windows tinted!
here's a real quick pic i snapped.
Name:  9qt6pl.jpg
Size:  60.8 KB

Now i need to change out my alternator and i'm good.
and if i have extra time possibly fix my head unit.

3/27/12
It sure is nice to have tint.

I changed out the alternator today with a 90 amp i had laying around and no more loose pulley noise.
All you hear is the purr of the engine.
Although the stereo whine is still there.
3/28/12
Now all i have left is to fix the headunit because it is not turning on, i made my own noise filter to go in the power line to fix the noise.
I think that ill have to go over the wiring and see where it could have came loose.

it sure would be nice to listen to music on the Port Townsend drive.

3/29/12
Cars....
I'm good to my baby, i buy her some tint and change out the alternator for her and this is how she repays me.
Name:  iPbepl.jpg
Size:  48.2 KB

3/29/12
So my head unit wasn't turning on.
I checked the sunroof and it was fine, so i looked under the battery and the whole firewall was a lake, there was leaves and crap in the drain and was leaking down through the firewall at my feet and running under the carpet to the back.

The fuse inline for the stereo dipped into the water and blew.
changed that out and water isn't leaking anymore and the stereo turns on.
The whine is still there.

4/09/12
So the other day since I'd still been experiencing whine, I unplugged the rcas from my head unit and realized that it still whines, which meant my RCA were picking up the ripple voltage.
And realized that one of the rcas didn't even work so I'd been going without a speaker also. And all of this was with grounded rcas, ground loop filters, and power line filters.
And if I turned the gain up it sounded unbearable.

On the bright side, i bought Krystal Kables which are 4x shielded and ran them up my center console, and my audio is crystal clear no matter what gain i have it set at.
I'm so happy about it, NO MORE WHINE!!! or flaws on my car.

Last edited by HulkB5; 04-17-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM

Those Krystal Kables sound legit. Im about to be wiring in some crazy **** to my trunk. ANymore info on these?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM
2nd Gear

She's turning out to be a Mean.....Green......Driving machine!

She's a looker,i like the color,very rare indeed.

Quick Reply: Hulk B5's Timeline