B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Hulk B5's Timeline

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM
4th Gear

Thread like this make me so jealous...

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Thread like this make me so jealous...
QFT!!!

Looks like the machine shop did an awesome job. very clean. also, are you working on your engine in your living room? couch? nice wood flooring? engine stand?!?!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

Hahaha, Yes, you may think i'm crazy but there's a big screen TV and a nice wood stove. And so far it hasn't done any harm to the flooring.
I'm considering just tearing out the back wall and putting in a garage door.

Thanks guys, Ill keep this thread updated.
Nothing new yet other than i ordered a Oil catch can from 034.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

I lost track of this thread a bit but here's a summarization of whats gone on.

So here's an update of whats gone on.

I went in Monday and got my parts payed for by the service manager, because they decided to close an hour early than they said they would Saturday, which set me back a bit.

After getting my parts, my timing belt wouldn't line up correctly.
So i ordered a new pulley, tensioner and belt.
I ran into a few problems that requires some custom fabrication.

Put the new 120 amp alternator in which will hopefully fix the rpm whine through the speakers.
Cleaned all my visible grounds along with the entire engine bay.

I ran into quite a few situations where i was needing a bolt and had to make a run to Tacoma screw or lowes and get it matched, or i need to make something custom for my setup.

Dropping in the engine
Name:  yvtNLl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  72.2 KB

Accessory belts along with the 120 amp alternator
Name:  KbCwzl.jpg
Size:  76.6 KB

Everything assembled and mounted, painted the valve cover satin black to match the block and car.
Name:  SZZ6Wl.jpg
Size:  68.9 KB

Ready for the break in
Name:  6zogml.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  68.1 KB

I talked to mike hood a bit about the break in and came to the conclusion that i will used the previous tune for the break in, and after the break in i will setup the Eurodyne software.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Update

1/6/12
I started yesterday and almost $hit my pants, it sounded awful.
But i decided to keep letting it warm up and figured out that the power steering was the issue.
I broke it in last night and it ran way stronger with the old tune than it ever did before.
The clutch is extremely tricky with all the chatter it gives me but of course is needing to be broken in.
The coolant valve on the back of the cylinder head was cracked so i had to keep refilling the coolant, also the nipple used to plug the coolant return from the turbo to the block was cracked and leaking fast which i replaced by rerouting it back into the supply.
And the speedo isn't registering all the time.
But is getting better and better the more i run it.
Other than that everything went well and the engine sounded great!

I still have to break in the clutch better, find someone who will make a intake piping with a 3.5" inlet for the maf, and 3" down at the compressor housing, figure out why the radio is still picking up the rpm whine, which may include replacing the battery, and setup the new tune.

A week later : 1/12/12

So i finally got a coupler for my new maf, that tapered from a 3.5" to a 3" after waiting a week in the mail and paying for overnight shipping.

I soldered in the new maf, and installed the 830cc injectors and my new bk7re sparks plugs. Started it up, read the ecu and sent it over to chris tapp at eurodyne.
He sent back my license file and the base tune and i went to flash it and it got stuck at waking up the controller
Name:  nB8Bal.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  72.8 KB

So now contacted chris after 3 hours of attempting to flash my ecu and ill have to wait and see what he recommends.

Tues 1/17/12
I shipped off the ecu and cable overnight shipping, so my car is sitting in my driveway without a tune. I couldn't even break it out in the snow.

But luckily i have this to drive around.

Wed 1/18/12
I sent the ecu out and he received it and he still hasn't notified whether he shipped it back to me ground yet.
Which he basically told me what i initially assumed was the problem, which was the ecu was unflashable.
And he has my cable so i cannot flash my other ecu until i receive it.
I have had so many delays with this build its ridiculous.
Hopefully he responds soon.

Tues 1/24/12
Chris still hasn't responded to me about whether or not he has shipped it, i sent around 3 emails since last Tuesday and i feel bad sending anymore.
So ill just wait it out.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

unflashable?

sounds like a serious pain

hope all works out. post back when it's sorted

Old 01-26-2012, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

So today i received my cable, and i attempted to flash my ecu from my old a4 and this is what i got.
Name:  xo7IQl.jpg
Size:  62.3 KB

The car runs great.
My battery was dead so i had to jump it, and it took awhile for the new tune to get adjust to my car but it's amazing how quickly the a/f ratio dialed right in and start running perfectly.
Running 13 psi with this tune compared to the old tune there is significantly more power and the exhaust note is a lot louder.

To those of you who want to see a dyno, it will be done.
But first i want to properly break in the engine the rest of the way and especially the clutch, the thing chatters like a ****.
After that, ill get it on a dyno.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

Update: 2/4/12

The clutch is getting alot more broken in already, the alarm is fixed now along with the remote start.
And i went ahead and tried this trick i heard of by grounding rca cables on the back of my head unit with copper wire, which ended up making the whining a lot less noticeable.
So that narrowed the whining down to the head unit, and i need to get it serviced by a pioneer tech now.

Once that is fixed there won't be a single flaw on the car.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

sweet man, i hope mine is that nice one day, sweet rims too.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Photoshoot

Thank you!

I had a photoshoot yesterday, here are the unedited pictures
Car Album - Imgur

Tell me what you guys think

Quick Reply: Hulk B5's Timeline