B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

how to run led without headlights on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
4th Gear
Question how to run led without headlights on?

ok so i just ordered these headlights...

S5 Style LED Ecode Chrome Projector Headlights

i dont know if u remember my last 2 piece projectors i ordered from them and how the light kept wobbling well i complained enough i got a really good discount on these, after shipping i only paid 220 so im content.... anyways i was wondering how i would go about getting the LED strip to run as DRL kinda like tumbo in his youtube video

Audi A4 B5 - LED/Xenon kit demonstration Vol1 - YouTube

i emailed him on youtube about a week ago and no reply so idk if any of you happen to know the link or what site its on? thanks

on another note... i will be posting pics and updates soon, got new coilover (vmaxx), mk6 gti rims (17 in denvers), neuspeed catback, giac flash, whiteline rear sway and neuspeed front sway, diamond d6 12in sub, audiofonix 1200w monoblock amp, obviously these new lights with ddm tuning 35w 4500k kit, it got painted.... kinda lol.. anyways when i get everything put together and running right ima go for a drive and hit up a photoshoot and post some pics for everyone...

anyways hope everyone is having a good time with their audis

Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear

I would wire it to the parking lights, thats how i had my LED strips wired on my old a4. dont worry it wont blink with the blinkers cuz that uses a different wire. if you do it this way, the LED will also be on when the headlights are on. you can also make a new switch for them which will be a lot more work than using parking lights.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Just identify which wire in the headlights turns them on, and instead of hooking it up "normally", run it to the 75X terminal under the dash. That's a switched ignition power post, and it'll supply power whenever the key is turned on.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
4th Gear

is the 75x located in the same spot for pre facelift?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Yep, the power post with the yellow wire attached.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
4th Gear

awesome thanks... now when u said identify which wire turns the leds on, would that be in the stock connector i have now or on the new headlights when they get here

Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Administrator

The new ones. You have to have them in hand to see what wire connects to them...

Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
4th Gear

true true... does anyone know anyone that has these? cuz im wondering if the "led" that come with it are actually leds or if they are just little mini bulbs that light up and look like leds from far away... cuz i wanna get the part number and order actual real leds for the strip if they arent actual real ones or if they are the cheap dull kind

Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 AM

They are LEDs... just crappy ones. In fact, the headlights are crappy all around. I was so disgusted by the set of them I bought that they ended up in the trash. And that was after I retrofitted them with better HID projectors (the projectors that come with them are total garbage).

Anyways, I ended up tapping into the switched ignition source as Devil mentioned. However, I put a switch in-between so that I could turn them off whenever. The advantage to using a switched ignition source is that they won't accidentally be left on if you forget to turn them off.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 AM
4th Gear

do u have any pics of them in your car metal?

Quick Reply: how to run led without headlights on?