B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

how to replace tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:15 PM
1st Gear
Default how to replace tail lights?

I bought some smoked LED tail lights for my 1999 a4, and I don't really know how to install them. I'm sure i could figure it out, but i was hoping someone here had some experience and could guide me through it before i brake something. I couldn't find a youtube video on it (i did for an 03 though).

If anyone loves me enough to make a video, that would be excellent but i don't expect that.

just to make perfectly sure you guys are on the same page, I am talking about replacing the whole freaking tail light. Not just the bulb, not the glass, the whole thing.

Secondly, your opinion on these lights? The more i look at them the less I am sure they will look good.

http://www.amazon.com/Audi-A4-LED-Ta.../dp/B002Q8V59Y
i think ill end up liking these more
http://www.handhelditems.com/9601-au...e-p-28167.html

Last edited by alexmurphy; 08-27-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

take out the plastic screws that hold the carpet to the body/ tail light, there will be 3 on each side, pull back the carpet, unbolt the tail lights from the body (cant remember what size socket you use) it will pull out, unhook the wiring harness from the old bulbs (unless you're re using them) there will be 2 connections you need to un hook on both sides, after that wiggle the tail light, and it should pop right out. then after that, push the new tail light in, plug in all connections, bolt them back up, put the carpeting back and screw those 3 screws back on each side. you should be done.

it's really kind of self explanetory, i could take pictures if you wanted.

Last edited by twoeightquattro; 08-27-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twoeightquattro
take out the plastic screws that hold the carpet to the body/ tail light, there will be 3 on each side, pull back the carpet, unbolt the tail lights from the body (cant remember what size socket you use) it will pull out, unhook the wiring harness from the old bulbs (unless you're re using them) there will be 2 connections you need to un hook on both sides, after that wiggle the tail light, and it should pop right out. then after that, push the new tail light in, plug in all connections, bolt them back up, put the carpeting back and screw those 3 screws back on each side. you should be done.

it's really kind of self explanetory, i could take pictures if you wanted.
if its not too much trouble, could you take a picture of the connections that need to be disconnected?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

sure, they're on the back of the bulb harness

assuming that facelift tail lights and prefacelift tail lights are set up the same.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

sure, they're on the back of the bulb harness

assuming that facelift tail lights and prefacelift tail lights are set up the same.
i sure hope they are...

Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

either way it shouldn't be too hard at all.

and i lied about the 2 connections, i guess i was remembering my friends tail light i helped replace.

there should be only 1!

it should take you 10-15 minutes max to swap them out if they're plug'n play.

there are actually only 2 plastic things that you need to screw off to get the carpet to peel back, and there are 4 bolts on the tail lights that need to be taken off.

Name:  DSCI0628.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  DSCI0629.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  DSCI0630.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  77.5 KB

sorry for the blurry pics, my camera didn't want to focus :/

Old 08-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Administrator

They aren't.

Pre-facelift tails use a different pattern of lights, and therefore a different bulb holder. That said, this should be a really simple thing to think your way through. Go slow, don't force any of the plastic to try to do something it doesn't want to, it's old and brittle. I didn't look at the links you posted, but if they don't use the existing bulb holders or come with their own plug-and-play bulb holders that will work with the stock wiring harness, you're going to have to do some wiring. Brie installed LED tails in her pre-facelift, maybe she can shed some light on that part (pardon the pun )

Old 08-27-2010, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

even if they don't use the same bulb harness, it should still be the same concept.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

well i'll give it a try and tell you what happens. I won't be installing these until sunday (one of my friends wants to help out).

could i try the connections without removing the tail light? just set it in the trunk and plug in all the connections?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

yeah for sure,

the connection i showed in my picture is with my tail light still on the car.

definitely test it out.

Quick Reply: how to replace tail lights?