B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HOW MANY MILES DO YOU GET OF FULL TANK

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Default RE: HOW MANY MILES DO YOU GET OF FULL TANK

I get 400 EVERY tank for the last year and a half....

maybe you don't take care of your car?.....

Every 3k I change my oil with full synthetic, and my oil filter with the large 2.8 filter, and a new set of BKR7E spark plugs gapped to .28, my fuel filter was done recently, I leak no fluids, I drive like a normal person, no racing at all, I occasionally get on it through turns, but as far as a straight line goes....I usually shift around 3-3.5k...

when i am on the freeway I cruise at 72mph....I don't do too much city driving either...

on my last tank I drove 420 miles from full to empty, the car took about 15 gallons to do the 420, and I was not babying the car at all, just driving it normally...

when I drive like a grandma, all highway, i can make it from my house in Redding all the way down to Los angeles county on one tank (that's 500 miles)

If you guys are up to buying my gas I will take you for a roadtrip!

oh, and I only ever buy Chevron 91 oct. (premium)...maybe it's the techron?, I always fill my tank all the way to the top, and I only ever fuel when it is cool out....when it's hot out you end up paying for vapors....

for all of you with a 1.8t who are getting less than 400mi p/tank...heres some things to think about replacing

full synthetic oil every 3k
2.8l oil filter every 3k
spark plugs every 3k
air filter every 3k (I just clean my K&n and re oil it)
fuel filter every 25k
make sure your tires are inflated properly
stop launching from stoplight to stoplight
avoid traffic (luckily there is none where I live)
when you are cruising on the freeway and want to pass, dont double downshift and redline passed people
don't use your air conditioner, just roll down the windows
use your foot break instead of using the motor to slow you down
use premium fuel ONLY (dont go to piece of **** gas stations who fill their gas with ethanol, it'll eat your head gasket)

what I listed above is what I do to keep my car running perfectly, if I follow all the steps above, I can easily achieve 450-500mi p/tank

Old 05-10-2008, 12:03 AM

I have a 1998 2.8Q and i do almost all highway driving. If i drive 75mph i normally get 25-27mpg with a 16.4 gallon tank that would be 410-442.8 miles range. The interesting thing has been on the few times i have had the opportunity to drive long distances at 85mph i have gotten 27-29mpg giving me a range of 442.8-475.6 miles. The furthest i have ever driven with out a fill up has been just over 400 miles and the gas light had just come on. I think the higher mpg at 85 might have something to do with it being at night with no other cars on the road causing me to alter my speed.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:18 AM
5th Gear

I honestly laughed when I read "spark plugs every 3k". Sorry, but that seems a little unnecessary to me.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

wow! i just did a trip to rhode island and back 450 miles and i was getting 20 mpg!i had to fill up twice...usually i get 220-250 to tha tank and i do alot of highwaywith school andback...i domy oil every 3k and my spark plugs every other oil change so i def am smelling some bullturds with people claiming over 400! get out of here

Old 05-10-2008, 02:11 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: qUaTtRoA4

full synthetic oil every 3k
2.8l oil filter every 3k
spark plugs every 3k
air filter every 3k (I just clean my K&n and re oil it)
fuel filter every 25k
make sure your tires are inflated properly
stop launching from stoplight to stoplight
avoid traffic (luckily there is none where I live)
when you are cruising on the freeway and want to pass, dont double downshift and redline passed people
don't use your air conditioner, just roll down the windows
use your foot break instead of using the motor to slow you down
use premium fuel ONLY (dont go to piece of **** gas stations who fill their gas with ethanol, it'll eat your head gasket)

what I listed above is what I do to keep my car running perfectly, if I follow all the steps above, I can easily achieve 450-500mi p/tank
All the things listed above are good but 1 is not necessary and the second depends on speed.

1) cleaning your air filter every 3k can actually do more harm then good. K&N recomends that you only clean the filter every 50k and these are the reasons why. 1) The air cleaner actually filters better as the filter traps particles and starts to get dirt. 2) Cars that are equiped with MAF sensors (like Audi's) are prone to failure due to excessive oiling. Most of the people I know from both the Audi and VW camps that complain about failed MAF's are running K&N style filters. (I don't know which you have since Audi ran either or depending on the year.)

2) Rolling your window down is ok if your speed is below 45mph, but once you start going faster than that it is more efficient to use the AC as the aerodynamics of the vehicle make a much larger impact on mileage, and having windows open really spoils the overall aerodynamics so using the AC at this point would be more efficient.

Tire pressure is very impotant and I'm glad you mentioned that because it is something that can be overlooked very easily. You should check your tire pressure at least once a month. The oil changing could be done every 3-5k especially if you don't drive hard, use full synthetic, and don't have a lot of mods.

Good write up.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:28 AM
1st Gear

im still cracking up at the people who say they drive 59 mph and 72 mph....wtf option do you have on your a4 or are you just driving the new civics? mine has an analog speedo.

"i get 300 to then tank when driving 48.23491 mph"

Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

jeez dude, you don't have to be an a$$ about it. we're just reading the analog speedometer. some of us have the common sense to read BETWEEN THE MARKS on the gauge. didn't think it was that hard a concept.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 AM
2nd Gear

i get like 330 but i shift like 3.5-4, maybe 4.5 if im feelin good or just showin off cuz i drive an audi and im better than anyone else on the road. shifting at 2k are you guys serious? that sounds boring

Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: EOD5

i"i get 300 to then tank when driving 48.23491 mph"
LMAO i feel ya bro, dont kno whats up w all these ridic numbers

i think it just comes down to how you drive. you drive like an 4sshole youre gonna get 250, if you drive like my 95 yr old neighbor youre gonna get 400+. which i doubt some of you are really gettin but tell everyone what makes you feel good

Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Great! Ill keep up the recommendations.

Thanks

Quick Reply: HOW MANY MILES DO YOU GET OF FULL TANK