B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

how heavy is too heavy

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Default how heavy is too heavy

Hey all,

I was looking into new wheels, wanna go 18" I was looking at the Falken Koblenz. I place heavy importance on autocross, and I was wondering if these wheels will be too heavy. They weigh 25lbs a piece, I'm just not sure what the spread is.

http://edgeracing.com/1999/Audi/A4_1.8T/wheel/1018/

Thanks for your input, and if you have any other suggestions on wheel type, please let me know!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: how heavy is too heavy

I'm not sure exactly what weight range would be considered best for Autocross, but I think ~25lbs. is pretty average for wheel weight. If it was me, I'd go a little farther down the page there and spend the extra $11 per wheel on these 20lbs. Enkeis:

Two reasons; one being that I'm sure lighter is most often better in terms of wheels, and I personally like the look a little better.

Also, a bit off topic, but I think most people will agree with me that you chose a rather unfortunate screen name. Not bad, and not your fault, but unfortunate nonetheless.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

The wieght of the wheels is the most important upgrade you can make since it influences the "unsprung" roling weight of the car. One pound savings in the wheels and tires has a huge impact on braking, suspension motion, acceleration, etc. because it lowers the inertia it takes to change the velocity and direction of the wheel. THE best increase to performance you can make is wheel and tire combo weight.

I'm looking at the O.Z. 18x8 Ultraleggera's.... they're strong, look awsome, and only weigh 18.6 pounds.

Yeah

Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear

is this the place to talk about mother-in-laws? sorry had to be said with that title.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: jiggleo

is this the place to talk about mother-in-laws? sorry had to be said with that title.
haha

Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Haha, very nice observation there.

Ok, so the lighter wheel is a good idea, thats what I wanted to find out. I had considered that wheel before, but abandoned the idea because it looked too similar to my current wheels in silver (see sig) and I didn't think I could pull off black wheels with the color i've got, and the bronze (although I love bronze wheels) looks too "subaru" with my color. But on second look, mabye black would look pretty nice on this car? Or mabye even bronze? Thoughs anyone? or mabye even a photochop? I can do the P-chop, but i'm no good at it[&o]

Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 PM

hey MrFlippant,

sorry if i'm niave, but how is this a bad screenname, other than a couple of other people on the internet have it? I'm just curious...

Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM

i was gonna chime in, but i'll let MrFlippant explain...

Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM

i'm completely lost... or oblivious... Please explain the screenname thing!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
4th Gear

Well, once upon a time, not long ago, there was this user here on AF by the name "bob12312357". Bob, or "PAM", as I believe CLX took to calling him (short for P***y A** Motherf****r), was very obnoxious. His sig was a bunch of nonsense about "As seen on cops, smackin hos since 1999, it's not a chase it's a race" blah blah blah. He would make all kinds of ridiculous claims about running from the cops on his motorcycle and his A4 was just soooo fast, plus he was just generally inappropriate. He was very belligerant and disrespectful toward the Mods and Admins, and never really contributed anything worthwhile to the community. Eventually everyone got sick of his crap and he was banned. Lately he's been up to his usual shennanigans over on vwvortex under the same username, so if you want a taste for what he was like you can look him up there.

Anyway, I just thought it was funny because your screen name kinda reminded me of him.

Quick Reply: how heavy is too heavy