B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

how hard is this stuff?-tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear
Default how hard is this stuff?-tuning

okay, so it's the stuff kiddies dream about but how hard is this stuff really? I'll be going 034 so I know I'll have some good base maps from their site, obivsully some serious cash/time on the dyno is a must but as far as the acutal involvement if I have it right, it's just trial and error really, can someone correct me if I'm wrong but all you're acutally adjusting is;
1) how much fuel is going in the chamber
2) when that happens(the fuel going in; according to the RPM range i suppose?
3) when the spark fires from the spark plug
4) possibly EBC? idk.

I'm thinking about doing stand-alone or piggyback as opposed to unitronics since I want to put a 28rs in my 1.8 and then a 2.0l stroker in soon after.

Last edited by 1781cc; 08-12-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear

i just started screwing around with the programing stuff myself. you also have engine timing to deal with. idle, part throttle, and WOT fuel timing. fuel injector duty cycle and fuel pressure. spark. how much boost, how fast it comes on and at what RPMs. you have to account for intake air temps and type of gasoline as well.

im sure theres more, il let someone with more experience chime in, but thats an idea atleast...

Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
i just started screwing around with the programing stuff myself. you also have engine timing to deal with. idle, part throttle, and WOT fuel timing. fuel injector duty cycle and fuel pressure. spark. how much boost, how fast it comes on and at what RPMs. you have to account for intake air temps and type of gasoline as well.

im sure theres more, il let someone with more experience chime in, but thats an idea atleast...
I'm assuming your using something like lemiwinks or similar? regardless from your additions it's starting to get more complex. I'm pretty good at figuring thins out and understanding how it works over time, i mean i wrnt from not nowing how to chamge my own oil to a basic undetstanding how an engine works and replacing valave seals and head gaskets. what worries about is that the learning curve is too steep and I'll miss something important and blow up my engine so I guess my next uestio. would be where to find a good knowledge base or forum where I can search for some good info. I'm not afriad to dive into things but I like to know a lot about what I'm getting into first