B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How fast is your a4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Slut
Default RE: How fast is your a4?

hahaha.... cincy apparently you dont know ****... hahahaha

if the turbo is designed for such situations, then, yes, it is beneficial at high altitude. however, for a turbo car that was tuned for sea level, the effect of climbing altitude is more harsh... you can compensate by turning up the boost to try and achieve the same cfm, but there are many variables.

if you take my a4 for instance, and a gt mustang to the mountains in colorado, without doing a damn thing to either car... the mustang will see a lesser decrease in power than my a4

Old 02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: pimphell

By the way, "all" things done are not listed. "Checkmate"
then why list anything?

and expespecially(sp) cheap/ghetto mods?

makes you look like a douche

Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: tommyboya4

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

ORIGINAL: czwalga
Actually bud, go check your facts; you will find you are very wrong.

A little common knowledge about FI and compression will tell you all you need to know. There is less air for a N/A engine to run. Since there is less air obviously less power, however when you run say 10 psi; you're still compressing the air to the same exact PSI you would be at sealevel. While the altitude effects all cars, it has far less effect on FI cars.
heres a lesson for you...
Air density decreases 3% at each 1000 feet of elevation above sea level. As the air gets "thinner", the compressor wheel must spin faster to maintain the same psi of boost, however, this often makes the turbo run a higher rpm than is efficient, which makes you lose serious power... ever notice how youre turbo stops pulling when you are at high engine rpm... its because its running out of its efficiency range.
WHat, you telling me i can have my ko3s hold 20psi at 7k

I love when diluted people. This guy is now in with kemp, same with the dood that think he can pull on sti's.... sorry, modded sti's

Wow, mis-information like this is why audiforums is the butt of audi community jokes. There is a reason why things like planes and Hillclimb cars are turbocharged as opposed to N/A
read and learn
http://www.amtonline.com/publication...1586&pageNum=1
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36621

find me some actual info that says other-wise "mr. diluted"
Haha winner me! sorry i just had to say that.

and

Oh, Oxygen is not flammable. Oxygen is a catalyst and required for combustion, but oxygen itself is not flammible

Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 PM

if the turbo is designed for such situations, then, yes, it is beneficial at high altitude. however, for a turbo car that was tuned for sea level, the effect of climbing altitude is more harsh... you can compensate by turning up the boost to try and achieve the same cfm, but there are many variables.

if you take my a4 for instance, and a gt mustang to the mountains in colorado, without doing a damn thing to either car... the mustang will see a lesser decrease in power than my a4

I'm glada few peopleon here atleast knows something.

I've basically been called out for every single thing i've said in this thread when all I stated was that I dont know why anyone would buy an A4 and worry about how fast it is. I think this section is mostly full of old civic owners.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
5th Gear

I'm glada few peopleon here atleast knows something.

I've basically been called out for every single thing i've said in this thread when all I stated was that I dont know why anyone would buy an A4 and worry about how fast it is. I think this section is mostly full of old civic owners.
making generalizations like that just shows your ignorance. i already answered that question. i like sitting in a luxury vehicle that is also capable of 12's. my 5.0 mustang was capable of 12's too, and i had BIG plans for that car, but after driving it for a couple years, the lack of a nice interior and drive quality, made me sell it. i would rather drive my a4 than that mustang ANY day of the week. if they're both just as fast, why drive the mustang? sure it takes a few extra dollars to get there than with a POS $2k mustang, but its worth it.

as for the other arguement, turbo'd engines lose more power than NA cars at high altitude. they are making more power, yeah, but thats what they are designed to do. if you took two 300hp (at sea level) engine, 1 is a FI 1.8, the other a NA 5.0. take them both up to colorado, the NA engine will lose less power.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Site Moderator

mine is slow.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:00 PM

Yours is beautiful, Brian.

too bad it's sitting in a ******* garage

Old 02-19-2008, 01:35 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

I dont know why anyone would buy an A4 and worry about how fast it is.
Think a little harder. Considering theres a very big aftermarket industry for the 1.8t engine, it's obvious you're missing something that so many more people understand. Personally, I love Audis (especially b5's) and I love power. Is that too much for you to figure out? I could list some other reasons why people want their a4's fast, but it may be a little more complicated than what I put my reason as.

I could ask why people make pick up trucks fast, but I'm not a moron. I know people like certain cars and they like them fast. So someone might be willing to buy a truck (for example) they really like, which might be slow, so they make it quicker.. thus ultimately getting the car they want.

By the way, interesting choice of words you decided to use. "worry" about how fast it is. For as long as I've been on this forum, I never read anyone state they're worried about how fast their car is. If you phrased your statement to something like "I don't know why anyone would buy an A4 and make it fast".. maybe the answer would be much more obvious to you.

I have time so I'll continue on.

Your whole statement is weak, based upon everyone is differant and that no matter what, you most likely won't admit you understand why. Someone else can come onto this car or any car forum and say "I don't know why anyone would want a fast car, at all." That's a fair statement, but still weak because everyone has differant wants, and it would be foolish to think one would understand them all.

It would be wiser for you to simply say (actually you shouldn't have said anything to begin with), *you* have an A4 and *you* have no need to make it fast. While I, tdn, have an a4 and I do have a need to make it fast.

[sm=icon_blah.gif]

I'll shut up now.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: AudiCross

Oh, Oxygen is not flammable. Oxygen is a catalyst and required for combustion, but oxygen itself is not flammible

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. The oxidation of certain chemicals and fuels results in a delicious treat for our engines.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Please read:

Atmospheric Pressure = 14.7 psi & 13 cubic feet of air = 1 pound
Power Loss due to Altitude

Air Density decreases at a rate of 2.9% - 3.0% for each 1000 ft. of elevation above Sea Level. See Standard Atmosphere below for background information.

Naturally Aspirated: Atmospheric Pressure 14.5 psi (It's hard to ride at sea level 14.7 psi)
Atmospheric Pressure @ 9000 feet = 10.5 psi
Pressure Loss = (14.5 - 10.5) = 4.0 (4.0/14.5) = 27.58 % @ 9,000 feet
Does a Turbo lose power with altitude? Yes!

Atmospheric Pressure = 14.5 psi, Boost = 10 psi, Total Pressure = 24.5
Atmospheric Pressure @ 9000 feet = 10.5 psi + Boost of 10 psi = Total 20.5 psi
Approximate Pressure Loss = (24.5 - 20.5) = 4.0 (4.0/24.5) = 16.32 % @ 9,000 feet

The power loss due to altitude is much less with the Turbo.

Chaos- If you were to use your example of a 300 hp 1.8t and a 300hp n/a motor, for my math I took an estimate of 20psi, that would be right about where a 2871r would be. if you plug that into the equation you come up with the N/A motor at 5,000 feet making 255hp and the 1.8t making 280hp. this is with using the same boost pressure at both sea level and 5,000. Now if the car was equipped with a MAP sensor remember this means "manifold ABSOLUTE pressure" you would see even less hp drop out the 1.8t because in these outlined conditions the car would raise boost pressure by about 2.1psi.

Quick Reply: How fast is your a4?