B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How easy is it to replace the seat bottoms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Default How easy is it to replace the seat bottoms?

Good day fellow Audi enthusiasts.

My leatherette seat bottom has a few splits and tears. I had it repaired but it still looks mickey mouse and one of the splits has come back. I called my local audi yard and they mention that they have good letherette seat bottoms available. My question is....how easy is it to pull the seat bottom. I'm almost positive that this involves pulling the seat but after that....is it little clips? Is it all fused together?

Should I just goop the fake leather into the crack and learn to live with it?

Thanks in advance for your replies! Keep on truckin

Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator

I don't have leatherette, but I've played around with my cloth seats and it looks to me like the bottom is completely seperate from the back. I don't see any reason why you couldn't yank the seat out and swap in a good seat bottom, just BE CAREFUL with the electrical connectors for the airbag.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 AM

Wow, I didnt know the airbag is wired into the seat! Is there some kind of pressure sensor?

How easy is it to pull the seat?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Yeah the airbags won't go off unless there's someone sitting in the seat. I've never taken the seat out but i can't imagine it would be horribly tough. if you find ImTheDevil's profile and look through his pictures, there's one in there of the underside of the seat where the airbag plug is.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Yep, just click on my screenname and go to my album. The seats are kind of a pain to remove, but then the disassembly is going to be something you have to feel your way through. If you have seat-mounted bags, there will be a little tag that says SRS or Airbag on the outer side bolster, and you'll have a yellow connector under the front of the seat, mounted to the bottom. If you have heated seats, you need to take that into account too. You can disassemble them, but they're going to require some beer and cursing.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Smile

I'm in luck!

Drinking beer and cursing are my specialties. I'm placing the order today. Thanks for the pics, Devil!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CrazyPete
I'm in luck! Drinking beer and cursing are my specialties.
Most Audi enthusiasts are experts at drinking and cursing!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

CrazyPete, I have the same problem. If you can take some pics of your install, that would help me in the future. Also, how much are you paying for your seat bottom from the junkyard?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM

^ i just bought 2 seats at the junkyard yesterday. I paid $300 for the pair and now the passenger seat heater works and looks like new. just dis-mounted the old seats and unplugged the air bags and seat heater, put the new seats in and reconnected everything. sounds a lot easier then replacing the bottoms on its own.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CrazyPete
I'm in luck!

Drinking beer and cursing are my specialties. I'm placing the order today. Thanks for the pics, Devil!
LOL.

Originally Posted by CCA4
Most Audi enthusiasts are experts at drinking and cursing!
It would seem this is true. Haven't seen a Timing Belt thread or job thats similar that didn't say required tools: misc wrenches, sockets, case of beer.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to replace the seat bottoms?