B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How does a bad ABS module affect AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:35 AM

I own a 98 a4 2.8 quattro and i was wondering how to turn the traction off. I hate it when i get into some snow and all the tires that have the load dont spin but the tires that have no load or low load spin! It bugs me! Is there anyway to fix this?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

if we don't have an ESP button, then do we still have traction control? cuz i've never noticed it get int eh way before, maybe its just the way i drive it?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by roman_pushkin
I own a 98 a4 2.8 quattro and i was wondering how to turn the traction off. I hate it when i get into some snow and all the tires that have the load dont spin but the tires that have no load or low load spin! It bugs me! Is there anyway to fix this?
That's the issue with Quattro with front and rear open diffs. That's not traction control, that's lack of traction control. Traction control, or ESP in later models will apply brakes to the spinning wheels to allow torque transfer to the other wheels with grip.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear

Ok I was just redirected to this thread by another one. Now I want to mention that even though we have EDL that does not mean that the awd is electronically controlled.... The center diff is what makes it awd and it has 0 electronics. Also its not realy a true differential lock because all it does is slow down a slipping tire and not enough to actually stop a tire. This is why the Russian hasn't noticed it it really only reacts when one tire has grip and the other doesn't because if both have low grip level's then then they will both spin relatively the same speed. If EDL didn't work you would only notice it in extreme conditions and if your like me and the Russian when your getting sideways you will almost never notice it. One way to feel it though is in a slushy or lightly snowed in parking lot if you push the car just to the edge of grip and don't pass it you can feel it applying the brakes lightly. My point is the AWD system is not electronically controlled. The EDL will not function w/ the ABS module being bad but most of us would never know the difference. If the center differential were open and controlled through electronically then it would be different but its a torsen dif not an open dif.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by somebody5788
If the center differential were open and controlled through electronically then it would be different but its a torsen dif not an open dif.
The center is a Torsen, yes, but the front and rear diffs are open.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pyropenguin
I'm pretty sure I'm that friend you're talking about. I'll post this up becuase I'm 95% sure that most of you are wrong. (sorry!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro..._generation_IV

We have three differentials in our car, a center diff, front diff, and rear diff. The only torsen diff is in the center and that distributes power to the front and rear of the car.

At the front and rear of the car we have open differentials, open diffs send power to whichever tire has the least traction. Audi uses something called EDL (electronic differential lock) to apply the brakes to the slipping wheel (it senses the slipping via the abs system), causing the open diff to send power to the other wheel.

When the ABS system is out, the EDL system is also out because it uses the ABS to sense wheelspin, leaving you with a mechanical center diff and open front and rear diffs.

If I'm wrong, somebody let me know.

Kyle
Just an update:

I knew I wasn't crazy. B5's only have EDL if equipped with ASR or ESP (which includes ASR). If your car does not have either (like mine), you do not have EDL.

The front and rear diffs are open on a B5 Quattro. EDL works by applying brakes to the spinning wheel, allowing torque to be transferred to the opposite wheel. If your ABS unit fails, your Quattro will drive as if it were simply not equipped with ESP or ABS... plus a few DTCs and warning lights.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear

Where did you find that out, the service manual says that EDL is part of the "basic configuration of AWD vehicles" and mentions nothing about ASR or ESP being required for EDL. At low speeds, I can tell that EDL is being applied as well, and i dont have ASR or ESP. When i accelerate too fast for good traction, my lights will flicker just barely and i can here the abs being applied just slightly (unless im imagining it, which could also be possible, it is very subtle.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dallas09
Where did you find that out, the service manual says that EDL is part of the "basic configuration of AWD vehicles" and mentions nothing about ASR or ESP being required for EDL. At low speeds, I can tell that EDL is being applied as well, and i dont have ASR or ESP. When i accelerate too fast for good traction, my lights will flicker just barely and i can here the abs being applied just slightly (unless im imagining it, which could also be possible, it is very subtle.

Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
The electronic differential lock (EDL) permits smooth, comfortable starts on road surfaces that do not have a uniform coefficient of friction. If a wheel starts to spin, EDL brakes it as necessary so that power is transmitted to the wheel with the better traction. EDL reduces tire wear and works up to about 25 mph (quattroŽ: up to about 50 mph). EDL is part of the Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP) and the traction control (ASR) .

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/t...tial_lock.html

Put the car in the air. If you have EDL, the brakes will go crazy. If you don't, one out of 4 wheels will spin.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

the traction control in earlier models (ASR) only takes power off, it does not in any way transfer any power to different wheels.... the abs or traction control has nothing to do with audi awd system is is strictly mechanical except for TT which have heldex system. the newer traction control system (ESP) takes power off and brakes with all wheels individually, for you to stabilize the car when it is going side ways

Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 AM
3rd Gear

Interesting, the ABS unit is available with options of -ABS- -ABS & EDL- -ABS, EDL & ESP- and -ABS, EDL, ESP, and ASR-.

I'm going to give a buddy at the Audi dealer a call tomorrow. Maybe we can shed light on the confusion.

According to AudiWorld, EDL is standard f & r in avant models. All others just say "EDL." I'm totally confused.

Quick Reply: How does a bad ABS module affect AWD?