B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How do I get to this hard to reach vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 AM
1st Gear
Default How do I get to this hard to reach vacuum line

In replacing some of my broken vacuum lines I found another one under the sensor plate at the back of the engine. It's under the passenger side of the plate, connected to a t-connector, and goes down the back of the engine. I can't see where it's connected. Has anyone ever replaced this hose? What other than the throttle assembly to do I need to remove to get to it. I don't just want to yank it out and not be able to get a new hose plugged in.

In this diagram for the 2.8, it's the hose just to the right of #14, I think, before it splits between the intake manifold and the fuel pressure regulator (#13).

Any help is appreciated. TIA

Old 08-12-2012, 03:31 AM
2nd Gear

When I did this, I unbolted the plate that covers said vacuum line. I think there are 3 10mm bolts. One of the short hoses needed to be unhooked to get enough clearance to lift the plate. Not too bad.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 AM

i think two long vacuum lines run towards the front of the car, one to the blue reservoir and one to the actuator on the front of the intake.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
i think two long vacuum lines run towards the front of the car, one to the blue reservoir and one to the actuator on the front of the intake.
^^ x2. Very important that you replace the one going to the Vacuum reservoir. A note about the intake manifold switch over valve/actuator: be super careful removing the vacuum line, the nipple can be very brittle and break easily. Also, be careful what you touch. I dropped a 1/4 socket wrench on the plastic rod that connects the actuator to the intake manifold and it snapped in half.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by techh3ad
In this diagram for the 2.8, it's the hose just to the right of #14, I think, before it splits between the intake manifold and the fuel pressure regulator (#13).
If I understand you right, I think you're talking about a little 1 inch long hose that goes to the intake manifold. I replaced mine about 6 months ago. It's larger than the other hoses, but you can pull it out with a needle nose. Put the clamp on it in the middle of the hose, then slide it back on with the needle nose. Then you can work the clamp down the hose so that it's on the nipple coming out of the intake.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 PM
1st Gear
Default I wish I could see the end of it

I know for sure one end, the top end, goes into a T-connection just under the sensor plate on the passenger side. It goes straight down from there to a spot I can't see or get to. I tried using a mirror but couldn't make out where it's connected. I can't get my hand down in there to feel where it ends either.

Mine broke. Luckily I could see the lower broken piece so I rigged it by sticking a spray can straw inside the broken ends and used RTV gasket sealer to band-aid the leak. I have new vacuum hose but just can't get to the other end of the broken hose in the back of the engine.

I think it's the section of hose in the diagram in my link in a previous post just to the right of #14 before the split between the fuel pressure reg and the intake manifold. But I just can't see or feel the other end. [Update: I think I'm wrong. I believe I've been looking at the diagram for the 12v 2.8, not the 30v which is what I have. If you look at the VW Passat 2.8L (rear view) diagram here, I think it's the hose that goes down from #4]

How to I get down there without pulling the motor? I'll try to get a pic up asap. Don't have a digital camera right now and my phone won't let me pull pics off it.

Last edited by techh3ad; 08-13-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Just remove the 3 bolts and you should be able to get to every vacuum line. I think these diagrams are making it seem more difficult than it actually is.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by IanWPB
Just remove the 3 bolts and you should be able to get to every vacuum line. I think these diagrams are making it seem more difficult than it actually is.
I think some great mind already suggested that. It really isn't bad.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
1st Gear
Default I guess I'll just have to dig in

I was under the plate this past weekend but that hose seemed impossible to get to. Hopefully I'll have a definitive answer come Sunday.