B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How do I change a Throttle Body in A4 98 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Question How do I change a Throttle Body in A4 98 2.8

How do I change a Throttle Body in A4 98 2.8
Need some info on this Throttle body replacement. My first Audi 98 A4 2.8 auto. I had small auto shop diagnose the issue with the car.

Any instructions or help would be much appricated.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Site Moderator

Never, ever, heard of a cable operated throtle body crapping out. It's just a hollow hunk of aluminum with a simple butterfly valve on the inside. What is the problem with the car? If you have a check engine light, what are the fault codes?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 PM

The problem is the car loses acceraltion or power. And when at ilde it will almost stall but not all the time. So I brought it in.
Not sure what the fault codes were but was told the T-body was the problem.

They said they cleaned it out and still the problem exits and they wanted 600 for new t-body.... WTF

So my plans were to buy one and do it my self.

Any help is much appricated ++

Old 08-06-2010, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiQA4
The problem is the car loses acceraltion or power. And when at ilde it will almost stall but not all the time. So I brought it in.

They said they cleaned it out and still the problem exits and they wanted 600 for new t-body.... WTF

First time i hear it too....is it that it got worn out or a computer problem?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by AudiQA4

Wow find a new mechanic. Get the fault codes and post back. You probably just have a vaccum leak, or bad maf. Cable operated throtle bodies don't break unless the throtle spring snapped or you shoved a stick of TNT into it.

It's possible that the throtle body gasket is leaking- causing unstable idle ($3 part), but the TB itself does not break. Drive by wire (electronicaly controled TBs) can break, but those are only on 2000+ engines.

Don't get ripped off. Even if you did blow up your TB with TNT, you can find a used one for $50 max.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-06-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
cable operated throtle bodies don't break unless the throtle spring snapped or you shoved a stick of tnt into it.
omg that sh*t was so funny!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Wow find a new mechanic. Get the fault codes and post back. You probably just have a vaccum leak, or bad maf. Cable operated throtle bodies don't break unless the throtle spring snapped or you shoved a stick of TNT into it.

It's possible that the throtle body gasket is leaking- causing unstable idle ($3 part), but the TB itself does not break. Drive by wire (electronicaly controled TBs) can break, but those are only on 2000+ engines.

Don't get ripped off. Even if you did blow up your TB with TNT, you can find a used one for $50 max.

Well I did some reading and found my MAF to be causing the issues. I unplugged the sensor and ran the car with out it and it ran fine. As soon as it plugged in the sensor to the MAF it would kill. So ordered a used part hopefully this will do it. Your advice is much appricated.

Thanks for your reply!!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Site Moderator

Super duper!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

Problem solved thanks to the Audifourm's super-team!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 AM
5th Gear

yeah i was gonna say i'm pretty sure it's your MAF lol. i'm sure you can do that easily, just be patient with the bolt furthest from when you look at the MAF

Quick Reply: How do I change a Throttle Body in A4 98 2.8