B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How to check timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 PM
1st Gear
Default How to check timing

I just replaced the valve cover gaskets , cam tensior gaskets, half moon plugs cam plug seal and cam seals on my 1998 A4 2.8.

I used the cam chain tensioner tool but was advised to make sure the timing was still on as I had lifted the cams up about 1 to 1.5 inches to replace the tensioner gaskets. When I look at the alignment fixtures on the cam gears they do not appear to be even. The engine is not at TDC. My questions are

1. Can what I did mess up the timing? (With me if it can go wrong it will)

2. Is there an easy way to check the timing to verify?

Thanks

Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear

When you say you replaced the cam seal, do you mean the ones on the front of the cam shaft? Because you have to remove the timimg belt and the sprockets to do that.

If you just tilted the cams up and the belt stayed intact, its unlikely you turned the cams.

If you aren't at TDC, the ears on the front of the camshafts will not be level, but they will be symetrical: both will be at the same angle. If you turn it to TDC (and only turn it by hand if you really think you meesed the timing), they should both be very level. Keep in mind:
  1. There is no reason to assume the motor's timing was dead on when you bought it.
  2. there are no timing marks on the 2.8 for a reason. The only way to get the timing dea on is with the timing tool.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Unless the cam chain skipped some teeth while you were working on it, the timing should be where it was before you started. But as mtroxel said, you don't know that the timing was really correct to begin with, unless you've used the cam alignment tools while doing the last TB job.

To play it safe, remove all the spark plugs to eliminate compression resistance, then slowly and carefully rotate the crankshaft until the plates in front of each cam sprocket have their larger holes facing inwards. Move the crank to match the crank pulley timing mark to the TDC mark on the lower belt cover. At this point, all four cam plate holes (large and smaller holes) should be exactly in a line, and the cam chain sprocket marks should line up with the fixed marks.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

Yep looks like the chain skipped a couple teeth. I have the plates lined up, the passenger side cam sprocket marks line up with the cam cap marks perfectly. The drivers side exhaust cam sprocket marks line up with the cam cap marks but the intake cam marks do not line up. Off by a couple teeth.

Anybody know an easy-ish way to move the cam sprocket a couple teeth counter clockwise?????